1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, messaging like this compounds the problem. It’s absurd to think that 100 percent of the population will contract the virus. Besides, the people who would be in favor of that are so few and fringe that it’s dishonest to hold them up as some sort of example of popular opinion. Even then, at least from what I’ve seen, the IFR is estimated to be around 1 percent, if not lower. That’s unweighted for age. What many/most people do think is that the risk of them dying is extraordinarily small even if they get the disease. I know at least five people who’ve had it, all of whom lived to shrug it off. I’d guess most of the country is in the same boat. And they are willing to assume that risk instead of completely forfeiting a year of their lives. They’ll wear masks, avoid large crowds, keep away from vulnerable family members or people who have been exposed. But they won’t lock themselves in their houses and sacrifice the things that are most important to them, because the risk of dying is extraordinarily small. The only thing you accomplish by willfully misrepresenting the numbers is give these people more of a reason to think that 75 percent of what they hear is overblown. Which hurts the cause more than it helps it. Instead of insisting that the fatality risk is greater than it actually is, why not respond by focusing on the complications of those who survive, or the chance that this thing could have long-term effects that we are unaware of? The worst thing you can do is imply that anybody who isn’t concerned about dying from COVID is a monster who is willing to exchange 6 million deaths for their own personal happiness. The natural reaction is to tell you to go fuck yourself and ignore anything you have to say.

TL;DR: it’s possible to mourn with those who’ve lost loved ones, accept the severity of the disease and the necessity of limiting its spread, and still believe your individual risk is low enough to warrant doing some things that err on the side of normalcy

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    RickStain likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

@Driftwood @Hermes
    Thank you both for illuminating the long-term impact of Coronavirus.

Many of us are scared shitless about getting it due to the possible impact on ourselves and especially our loved ones. Your descriptions help the rest of us understand the sacrifices we are making are worth it.

I think I can speak for most of the SJ community in saying we're sorry you got it, as well as the impact it is having on @Amy's mourning as well, but your lessons are valuable for us all.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Just made my run to the grocery store for the week, kid helped me out with groceries d what we doing for Thanksgiving, said we canceled our plans. he said they're having a big family get together. brother coming from Kentucky, both sets of grandparents coming from different parts of the state. I said you know that's what they're saying exactly what not to do and he just kind of looked at me blandly. I said well have a nice Thanksgiving I hope you're lucky.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Thanks. Here's the story from last night.

Puzzling, often debilitating after-effects plaguing COVID-19 "long-haulers" - CBS News

TigerVols likes this.
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The Regeneron thing is pretty cool, but it's not *as* awesome as I was hoping the first generation of monoclonal antibodies would be. They need to be given after infection but before serious symptoms develop, so you can target them at the highest-risk categories but not necessarily directly help 300k very sick people.

WRT population-wide immunization, don't forget that our total failure as a society to try to contain the disease will give us a head start. By the time Biden is inaugurated, I'd estimate at least 30% of the population will have been infected.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My son goes to the University of Oklahoma.

Last week a friend from his old high school told him that her mom had given her four tickets to the OU/OSU game last Saturday and wanted to invite my son and two other former high school classmates. My son and the others said thanks for the invite but that they wouldn’t feel safe attending the game.

When the girl gave her mom back the tickets and told her she and her friends were uncomfortable attending game, her mom said, “Don’t you believe in God enough to know that he will keep you safe?”

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Viruses having long-term side effects isn’t new. We just aren’t used to it happening to millions of people all at once.

A couple years ago in the NHL, Patrick Eaves had his career ended by some random virus and they never even figured out what it was. Severe muscle weakness and loss of aerobic capacity. They ended up just labeling it “post-viral syndrome.”

daemon likes this.
  12. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is worrisome.

Draft saved Draft deleted