1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I told my family we'll have 10 Thanksgivings next year (at least), let's just get through this one first

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not even entirely clear on what that article is trying to say. It keeps talking about shifting categories around and somehow that means that COVID didn't really kill 300,000 people, but it never explains where the excess deaths came from then, because we *do* have excess deaths.

I can't tell you if the paper itself is any good or not, because it is never actually linked inside that article. But that article is bullshit.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The sources are suspect and I would imagine the main source at the very least has a significant bias. The comments on the story are interesting. There's a lot of the same drivel from the this is overhyped, but there are some better breakdowns of that info and other data out there as well as some trying to show the source for the bias.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, about 10% above what would otherwise be expected.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure he was spotted waltzing through DIA, but the TV station reporter who broke this insinuated he got a tip from inside the mayor's office early Wednesday morning.

Oh, and F the mayor.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've been married 28 years, and this is the first thanksgiving we didn't spend with my wife's family (it is always enjoyable). This is the first year we all didnt get together. Bummer.
    One of my wife's cousins sent around a group text yesterday asking who would like to participate in a Zoom meeting today at 5:00. Crickets.

We are all kind of over Zoom.

FileNotFound and Driftwood like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We had video links to my son's and daughter's kitchen yesterday, Alice had a Zoom with her sisters and brothers (she's oldest of 11) and we had a Zoom with my son's fiancee's mother and sister, who live on Maui. Is it as good as the real thing? No. But it's miles and miles better than nothing, and much better than just a phone call.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  8. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

But people are dying sooner and in “misery.”

9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friend, I am watching the video as we speak. The professor states that the “percentage” of deaths by elders does not change in weeks 12 and 13. I am looking at the table. They do “uptick.”

I am being “gaslighted.”

You cannot argue with this!

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Dumb question given the seriousness of this thread matter, but when you guys say Zoom do you actually mean Zoom...meaning, someone sent out a link and everyone used the Zoom app to see each other? Or in some cases did you actually Facetime or Google Meet but, again, you're just using the term "Zoom?"

Curious as I'm a Zoom stockholder.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Zoom as in Zoom.

TigerVols likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I Zoom a few times a week. For work and for class. And this week we had a couple Thanksgiving Zooms with family, too.

All booked and calendared through Zoom.

On top of which I routinely Skype and Face Time and Meet.

I still marvel at the tech, frankly.

TigerVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted