1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Excellent article with regard to the Covid vaccine and likely problems with distribution.

"Drawing up that battle plan has been difficult. Information technology challenges delayed the state’s efforts to enroll medical providers capable of receiving and storing the vaccine, Harris said. The federal government asked each state to identify five locations where shots will be propositioned, pending final go-ahead from authorities. These are mostly large hospitals, such as the University of Alabama at Birmingham’s flagship facility.

The primary locations put forward by Alabama officials are among a larger set of 68 facilities equipped to store ultracold vaccines, said Jamey Durham, the health department’s logistics lead for vaccine implementation. These are the facilities poised to become vaccination sites following the initial allotment, he said.

“In more rural areas, this means bringing the vials to a central location and having the public come to the vaccine as much as possible,” Durham said.

After the initial rollout, staff at smaller clinics will have their crack at the vaccine, said Ryan Kelly, executive director of the Alabama Rural Health Association. When distribution expands beyond health-care workers, the onus will shift from hospitals and other organizations largely inoculating their own staff to a wider range of sites, from sports arenas to school parking lots, for community immunization."

Mass vaccinations against covid-19 will be ‘mind-blowing’ challenge for Alabama, other poor, rural states
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...66459a-2dab-11eb-96c2-aac3f162215d_story.html

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

But, again, as it relates specifically to the stimulus bill, it's apparently OK for the Democrats to craft a bill that's shitty and larded down with prison reform and student loan debt forgiveness and election overhaul because that's politics. Let's post pictures of caskets in ditches but simultaneously genuflect at the art of political goalpost setting in a pandemic.

daemon likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'd like to see what the weather looks like when the pants-shitter is out of office. Let's wait until then before rending our clothes over how a bill gets 'crafted' in the worst Congress we've ever had

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

buy the ticket take the ride

5. Neutral Corner

To repeat what has already been said multiple times: It's a two party system. The way it's supposed to work when there is conflict about a needed action is for there to be negotiations, which continue until a deal is hammered out. If both sides leave the table feeling vaguely screwed, it probably went the way it was supposed to. The way it's not supposed to go is for the leader of the majority party to say "I'm not even going to consider what you put forward. Instead I'm going to wait until there is no time left and use the desperation of American citizens as a club to force you to accept our bill".

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't you know the first rule of American politics, Neutral? Only Democrats have agency. They are responsible for everything they do, and everything Republicans do, too.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Did I miss Alma’s outrage at the Senate GOP trying to include funding for a new FBI HQ in their stimulus bill this summer?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That’s BS too. A board full of Republicans would probably have a blind spot for it.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t accept the Democrats’ bill either.

Nor did I care for the pork fund afforded churches in the first bill. Our church turned it down.

I mean if we want to talk about a good stimulus bill, let’s do that.

10. Neutral Corner

I didn't ask if you would accept it, or if it had unnecessary pork. McConnell's handling of the Covid bill wasn't the Democrat's responsibility, and nothing moves in the Senate unless he allows it. He is in control, and the responsibility for the lack of any bill is on his desk, along with hundreds of other bills that he vetoed. Under the Constitution he does not have that power, but he has de facto exercised it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Thos is worrisome.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is where you entered the thread today:

Sorry, but if you don't want pictures of mass graves from New York in April, maybe don't defend or excuse or rationalize the inability of North Dakota and South Dakota to have learned a single fucking thing in the 7 months since.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted