1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If it doesn't involve Russia, critical thinking just doesn't happen

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Why? How are they different from heterosexuals who declined to use "protection"? It's not like they couldn't get AIDS or othe STD's, and then you can throw in pregnancy.

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I pray for Alyssa Milano.

I had no idea that she had suffered from COVID 19, especially to such a terrible “degree.”

4. Jerry-atric

Heterosexuals were much less “likely” to attain HIV, my friend.

But I agree that they should have also practiced “safe sex.”

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The target is moving all the time. As treatments improve, prognoses improve. Someone infected at grandma's on Thanksgiving likely has a better long-term prognosis than someone infected during Easter, when some of these statistical patterns were being extrapolated.

But to post hard numbers --- 3% of those infected WILL have strokes --- into what may be decades into the future is highly speculative, IMO. Is it really so bad to at least question it?

It would be like some Wall Street guru in 1985 projecting 2020 earnings of the Rocky Mountain News. Yeah, he's smart. He has data. But . . .

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Every time I see a couple where she is wearing a mask and he isn’t, I just assume he was type who’d whine about condoms ruining sex back when they were dating.

7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

What Sam Levinson used to call an "organ recital" follows:

Some researchers here are looking at the experiences of clinical workers who contracted and recovered from MRSA, which I contracted while working at a hospital in Nashville in the 90s.

In 1989, I had mononucleosis while carrying 21 semester hours, working with Residence Life, the SIFC, doing proto-fieldwork, and writing and producing my plays. When I came home for Thanksgiving, I went shopping with my Mom and had to stop and sit down every few minutes because I felt like my legs would not hold me. Before that, I took dance and did regular long walks in preparation for my first 5Ks.

From 2002 to 2006, I had pneumonia every. blessed. winter.

2008, I was diagnosed with DM2 and decided I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I started losing weight, started walking, then running.

Last year I thought it was almost time to do my first 5K. Then COVID happened.

We are still not sure if we got a milder case of it earlier this year. My mother was slightly wobbly for a couple of weeks. I was back to something like what happened in 1989. I would crawl to my desk to work, crawl to the living room to spend time with Mom, cook when I could... Every joint felt like it was on fire. At one point, I dropped my food processor, not because my hands were slippery, but because it was too heavy for me to carry.

Last year, I loaded and unloaded an aggregate of 640 lbs of topsoil and humus to my car and from my car to the back yard over the course of a morning so my mother could garden. This year I am having issues wrangling a food processor.

Every time your immune system takes a hit, it gets harder and harder to come back from whatever knocks you on your butt.

At what point is something going to get through to you that this is not a cold? This is real and it could have lasting effects on the people who contract it. Good grief, my scientific training is not a tenth of what someone like Anthony Fauci received and I can see there is a correlation between viral attacks and young people getting circulatory, pulmonary, and neurological issues usually associated with age and abbreviated immunological capacity.

"How do we know? How do we know?"

We don't know for sure any more than we can do more than theorize about evolution based on the evidence we've found. We have seen what is happening, so chances are good this can happen to many of the people who do contract COVID. Having said that, there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to the human body. You might be fine in a month, you might need oxygen and a walker for a couple of years.

Speaking as someone with a medical Hx that is still a walk in the park compared to many people's experiences, I wouldn't wish it on anyone and sincerely want everyone to exercise caution. I'm sorry if this is coming off as me being a big, gristly, throbbing knob, but what are you trying to prove and to whom? Be skeptical about cupping and those bogus cancer "cures" if you want to be that guy. The worse that could happen now is we all look a little silly from the overkill. It beats being in your twenties and thirties and having to use mobility aids while you get your body back.

Postscript: This morning, I walked for 5 minutes on my treadmill's slowest setting. I hope by this time next year, I'll be getting ready to run my first 5K in 2022. (Translation: Bite me, viral gremlins. I'm getting my life back.)

HanSenSE, tea and ease, Dyno and 6 others like this.
  8. Jerry-atric

He may have already suffered COVID 19.

9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Dear God. I need to go scream at my heavy bag.

10. Jerry-atric

Do you disagree with that “assessment”?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

this fucking thread

Jerry-atric and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Jerry-atric

It has been a terrible year.

Draft saved Draft deleted