1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And nurses aren't?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I never remotely argued she wasn't "at risk," or that her being "at risk" was a matter of perception. Rather, I suggested that her perceptions regarding the necessity of her being tested, given the actual magnitude of the risks she is and has been running, could be in error.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nurses see a LOT of people. But --- and I could be off base --- it doesn't seem they are typically in close proximity to 50-60 people AT ONE TIME like a football roster. The "at one time" is kind of the key, as it relates to viral loads building up quickly enough to cause infection. And 100 percent of their shift is masked. Not really possible for a football player.

Frankly, if I feel I'm vulnerable due to my job, I go to the nearest drive-through testing place as often as I feel necessary, regardless of what (if anything) my crappy employer is providing. I may complain about them --- and rightly so --- but I'm sure not going to say eight months later, "I've never been tested!"

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

She’s in contact with infected people daily, and has never been contacted by the hospital about testing. I understand that how often an er nurse should be tested is going to be a subjective call, and anyone with any agenda can make the number whatever they want, but I can’t imagine her perceptions are wrong when she complains about them NEVER offering it.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nah. I love Hollywood. Love TV and movies. Love the jobs it produces.

I don’t love the critique that UCLA football players shouldn’t get antigen tests from the PAC-12 because UCLA medical center nurses aren’t getting tests. (Are they really not being tested?) College football keeps a lot of people employed, too. The kids need the tests to play. The league pays for them. No tests, no football, no TV money, no jobs.

But, again, you knew that. I will never accuse you of being slow on the uptake.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

All the makeup artists in Hollywood couldn't make DeSantis look good on Covid.

OscarMadison, Mngwa and ChrisLong like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t either.

It has nothing to do with PAC-12 football though.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That your even trying to justify it based on no medical knowledge is problematic.

It’s a fact that a nurse (I saw a couple of them in action a couple of months ago) IS exposed to COVID, the football players, not a fact.

Still it’s clear where the priority lies, and that’s wrong IMHO.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If someone wants to say college football is unseemly and trivial, say it.

But that unseemly, trivial thing is not preventing UCLA nurses from getting tests, for Chrissakes. Nor is Hollywood.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My guess is that they didn't start with that many followers, but who knows?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If someone points out that college and professional athletes are being tested pretty stringently,but front-line health care workers are not, it makes a statement about us societally that a lot of people other than you seem to understand.

Draft saved Draft deleted