1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The Top 2 system will prevent a Trumpist Republican from making a serious run at the governor but it's going to be a bloody fight between Dems in both rounds depending how we actually look in 22. It's not that Newsome was bad in the beginning. He saved us from going full New York or Florida. But he hit two problems: the conservative counties revolted and he started coming off as hypercritical. He caved over the summer because so many were pushing hard to reopen the economy in mid May. If we had waited a littler longer, really let numbers go down we might have been in better shape now. Who knows. Maybe not with the rise in cases around the country. But we're about to be put back under the March/April SIP order of ICUs keep filling up as expected. The only hope is local Heath orgs are putting together distribution plans for the vaccine. Fingers crossed we'll have a real summer.

The governor deserves some thanks for the positives, but he needed to get out of his own way. Newsome was always a little skeevy. He got in because Villarigosa was even more sketch and Newsome clobbered the Republican in the general. It will be interesting if someone like Becerra will primary Newsome.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He just looks like he’s going to be the smarmy villain mayor in a movie

Spartan Squad likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In the same speech he also said that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

We are being asked what we can do for our country by wearing a mask and as much as possible avoiding public outings where we come into contact with many people. Or avoiding family gatherings for a while. But people would rather ask what can they do for themselves.

Then, to support people doing their part for their country, the government is trying to get money to people and small business. That's not really a contradiction of what Kennedy said. Kennedy didn't want us to just look to government to solve every little problem, he wanted us to do our part, but the country had to be willing to spend what it needed to spend to fight the big things. In his context it was communism but do you really think Kennedy would say tough shit to Americans struggling as they answer the call?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

One pastor did something about encouraging people to wear masks and shelter in place.

Story has it that he ended up contracting COVID, then had a mug-style photo taken after displaying viral symptoms and made clear that following guidelines might just help one NOT look like he did.

Obviously, the church was shut down. But the different part, i.e. contrary from the usual narrative, was the pastor discouraging attendance and following science, not religion, not "God's will" or any other foolish line of thinking that is more denial than any sort of safe, smart guideline given what we believe we know as of now.

OscarMadison and tapintoamerica like this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not that it would stop him, but Newsom could appoint Becerra to fill out Harris' term just to eliminate competition. But as we're starting to see, Newsom may not be the sharpest Crayola in the box of 64.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Becerra's always been viewed as the heir apparent to Harris' spot. And I would imagine that he, like most, would think being a Senator is better than being the governor

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Dude. It wasn't behind anyone's back. Where she lives, live goes on as normal for the most part. And let's be real for a minute. People aren't wholesale doing things outside because Trump and his administration has bungled the entire response. It is easy to hold graveside services. Really easy, unless it's the heart of winter. People don't do it because they don't want to. And when my SIL's daughter died unexpectedly a few weeks earlier, that funeral WAS on teleconference. Same funeral home. Some of these people have to get the blame for doing stupid shit. Just like if my SIL had actually attended, and FIL had died, it would have been her fault.

8. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Hadn't seen this posted yet.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It’s Newsom, no “e.”

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

State governments can’t print money. They can’t go into debt as easily or as deeply as the feds can.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If COVID 19 was a work week, we are in Wednesday afternoon. We have a big assed project due Thursday morning, but we can see the weekend.

We’ve come too far to get fired now.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’m going to rework one of my favorite jokes.

A man starts listening to news about COVID 19 and hears Fauci talking about masks and says, “God will protect me.”

A man starts listening to more news about COVID 19 and hears about people working and learning remotely via the internet but refuses and says, “God will protect me.”

A man starts listening to more news about COVID 19 and hears about vaccines and says, “God will protect me.”

Man eventually contacts COVID and gives it to his wife and mother, killing all three.

When being judged at the gates of heaven, the man asks God why he didn’t protect him?

God responds...

“Fucking hell, I gave you Fauci, masks, the internet, laptops, take out food, streaming TV, digital learning and working, and a fucking vaccine! What the fuck more did you want me to do?”

Draft saved Draft deleted