1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Sure... Trump wasn’t pulling his strings at all. Sure...

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

April 3, at the White House: “The C.D.C. is advising the use of nonmedical cloth face covering as an additional voluntary public health measure. So it’s voluntary. You don’t have to do it. They suggested for a period of time, but this is voluntary. I don’t think I’m going to be doing it.”

May 21, touring a Ford plant: “I wore one” — a mask — “in the back area. I didn’t want to give the press the pleasure of seeing it.”

July 19, to the Fox News host Chris Wallace: “I don’t agree with the statement that if everybody wears a mask, everything disappears.”

Aug. 13, at the White House: “My administration has a different approach: We have urged Americans to wear masks, and I emphasized this is a patriotic thing to do. Maybe they’re great, and maybe they’re just good. Maybe they’re not so good.”

Sept. 7, asking a reporter to remove a mask while asking a question: “If you don’t take it off, you’re very muffled.”

Sept. 29 at a presidential debate: “I think masks are OK. You have to understand, if you look — I mean, I have a mask right here. I put a mask on when I think I need it. Tonight, as an example, everybody’s had a test, and you’ve had social distancing and all of the things that you have to.”

He continued: “When needed, I wear masks. I don’t wear masks like him,” he said of Mr. Biden. “Every time you see him, he’s got a mask. He could be speaking 200 feet away from them, and he shows up with the biggest mask I’ve ever seen.”

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Really interesting pretzels people twist into to keep playing their board contrarian roles.

4. Justin_Rice

She had these emails, though.

Which means Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton were equivalent choices to occupy the White House.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Who cares what this goober has to say?

What does the President of the United States say about smoking? That's what I wanna know!

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So we've moved on from obesity, I see

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I assume it is clear to all except me but why won't masks help general public but they will help healthcare workers?

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I believe the conventional wisdom in April was that cloth masks didn't offer much protection and telling people to wear masks would cause a run on N95 masks they'd wear incorrectly and keep out of the hands of healthcare workers.

wicked, Cosmo and lakefront like this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It was the thinking at the time that the only things that would help were the surgical masks or the N95s and the cloth masks wouldn't provide enough protection. They wanted medical-grade masks for the healthcare professionals and not the general public while we getting our feet under us. Obviously this line of thinking has changed.

lakefront likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The statement in question was made in February by the same Surgeon General who told us Covid was no worse than the flu.

He then retracted both statements.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you read the replies to the tweet, hundreds of people were asking him the same thing.

We KNOW the right thing to do, in spite of the messaging. We just often CHOOSE NOT to do the right thing. Out of convenience. Comfort. Spite. Whatever.

12. Justin_Rice

I don't know which America you live in, but based on the resistance I see to masking, I'm not willing to concede people "know" the right thing to do.

FileNotFound and Mngwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted