1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Villanueva's a fraud so I take all of this with a grain of salt.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh it ain't a half-a-dozen, that's for sure.

Also a little "fun" with numbers there. If you don't watch out, your mind'll play tricks on you.

My linked graph (and there may be way better sources for the relevant data) shows the percentage of units with rent paid up-to-date. Let's say in a given month in a given year that percentage is 90%. If in the same month the next year the unpaid percentage increases 10%, the paid percentage will decrease by only 1.1%.

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friends, a debate between @doctorquant and @The Big Ragu is the Ali-Frazier of this “board.”

They are both crazy smart.

You cannot argue with this!

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The anti-vaxxers are already at it.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I heard something on the radio this morning there might be complications for those with severe allergies.

6. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is worrisome.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Two health care workers in the UK who were vaccinated on the first day of availability had severe anaphylactic reactions.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean I'm joyed by the daily vaccine news as well, but maybe a few more reps before this thing is game-ready.

[​IMG]

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Speaking as someone with a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction to, of all things, Brazil nuts (easy to avoid, thank goodness), this news does not bring joy. I have never had an allergic reaction to a vaccine of any kind, however (shingles, flu shot, measles, polio, etc.)

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It is totally normal for a small percentage of people to have allergic reactions to a vaccine. In the Pfizer Phase III trial, some sort of allergic reaction was found in 0.6% of the vaccine group and 0.5% of the trial group that got a previously-vetted vaccine.

The reports I've seen did not say how severe the reaction was, just that they had an adverse reaction.

This is exactly the kind of thing I've been warning about, where as soon as the vaccines come out, things will happen that will lead to headlines that are technically true but give people a false impression.

Guess what: in the coming weeks, some people who have been vaccinated will die (especially because we will be vaccinating long-term care patients first and they tend to be very old), and there will probably be a report about it. "Government probes deaths of vaccine recipients" will be a completely factual headline, even if there's no reason to believe the vaccine caused the death.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure what the false impression is.

Two people who got jabbed the first day had anaphylactic reactions. Sure that is technically true. It's also just true. It also wasn't predicted by the trial that Pfizer did.

It's something that people should be aware of until (or if) they can figure out what caused the reactions. Millions of people walk around with EpiPens in case they have allergic reactions to something.

Given the reactions and how little anyone knows about what happened, it's important.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted