1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I mean, Donald Trump still says he won the election. Grifters gonna grift.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's a great trick - be an a-hole, people call you out on it and then portray yourself as being the victim of the "elites." People have gotten a lot of mileage out of that play.

Liut likes this.
  3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

He’s certainly been a notable sports writer in his era but when it comes to actually producing good or great or interesting content, there are a lot who’ve done so just as well or better, and a whole lot who’ve had much longer sustained success.

Are we 100% sure Whitlock even makes the Mt Rushmore of KC Star staffers from his era? Probably, I guess but he’s on the bottom half of that foursome, not the top.

Bronco77 and Liut like this.
  4. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

He was at his peak writing on the Chiefs in the 1990s at the Star. He was great then. But weak on other sports and especially weak on baseball - he was fortunate the Royals were so bad. But Posnanski and Mellinger wrote interesting things about bad Royals teams because they are better reporters. As a national voice, Whitlock did not interest me.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Whitlock has never had a peak — unless you're looking up from the media holler he's in now — and he's never been great. The only way he makes it to KC's Mount Rushmore is via a tour bus, a big tour bus.

Liut likes this.
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

very bad baseball writer. Being a good football writer and nothing else was not all that notable in the previous media iteration.

8. swingline

Every Whitlock column during football season eventually devolved into "I played at Ball State" and "Jeff George should get another NFL job." Published in the KC Fucking Star.

If Gib Twyman hadn't screwed the pooch and plagiarized an SI article (I think it was SI), we might have been spared Whitlock.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, no it wasn't.

The guy knew football and covered the Chiefs well. His columns could end abruptly at times - from what I read they still do at times - but he definitely reached an audience.

10. swingline

Are you Whitlock? I read that guy in the Star, and he sucked ass. Still does.

The difference between him and Posnanski was so wide it wasn't even funny.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To suggest Whitlock was a terrible writer about football is the kind of totalizing statement that defeats the purpose of legitimate criticism of the guy.

Liut and HappyCurmudgeon like this.
  12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Agree. The guy rubs some people the wrong way so much that they can't give a realistic, reasonable assessment.

Liut and HappyCurmudgeon like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted