1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

4DEB93E6-7B21-42DB-81D8-BCDF5181B580.jpeg

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was my understanding that each house would vote separately, and that both had to reject electors for that to be done rather than a unified vote.

3. Jake from State Farm

That’s correct
    They need one senator and one congressman to object
    And the house members would vote as a state, which gives the advantage to the Republicans
    For example, Michigan has six Democratic congressmen and 10 Republicans
    Michigan would cast one vote for the Republicans

4. Michael_ Gee

No. House votes by state only if election is thrown into it by failure of all candidates to win Electoral College. In this case, it'd be one member, one vote.

5. Jake from State Farm

OK Thanks

6. Michael_ Gee

It all goes to show there was a lot of heavy drinking going on when the Constitution was created. (This is a fact. There's a surviving bar tab for the delegates and it's a doozy).

UPChip likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My bad they are considered separately. They count together but they have to adjourn to consider objections. Still, Rick is right. Both have to reject it. The House will never allow it. And there are specific circumstances that allow for the rejection of an electoral vote and the GOP's current nonsense won't legally fly.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Snowflake hillbillies who won't wear masks think they can manage a civil war. LOL

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

But Biden underperformed in Miami-Dade!!!!

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I often war game it out in my head. Not so much the battles, because it would be insurgent attacks all over the place. Instead, I think about what would happen after the shooting stopped (not that it really would, there'd always be car bombs or mass shootings). How would the Red States survive? Who would be their trading partners? Would states split up, say with Miami going with the Blue States while the panhandle goes to the Red States? Given the interconnectedness of the economy, would any industry survive? You're a manufacturer in a Red State, but your stuff is largely made in a factory in China and arrives at a port on the West Coast ... how are you staying in business?

The idiots fantasizing about secession right now (Hi Rush Limbaugh!) don't care about what comes after the split.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

The Republican Party isn't interested in secession. Its goal is authoritarian one-party rule and the franchise limited to whites, and maybe just white men.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.