1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Dropped words matter.

2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

It's possible that as the virus has sort of moved around the country that some are hearing it for the first time. If you don't pay that much attention to the news I think it's possible. When it was in the Northeast I bet that people in the midwest were not paying that much attention. I know that many were not paying attention in the Southeast. How many, I don't know.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agree, but at least some of that imprecision was part of the point.

The actual tally of cases is assuredly far larger than what is shown by The Times’s count, the most comprehensive public measure of the virus in college sports. The Times was able to gather complete data for just 78 of the 130 universities in the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s Football Bowl Subdivision, the top level of college football. Some of those schools released the pandemic statistics only in response to requests filed under public records laws.

The remaining schools, many of them public institutions, released no statistics or limited information about their athletic departments, or they stopped providing data just ahead of football season. This had the effect of drawing a curtain of secrecy around college sports during the gravest public health crisis in the United States in a century.

Surprised they at least didn't link to this, though.

Tracking the Coronavirus at U.S. Colleges and Universities

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

If you’ve been walking across Antarctica since February, yes. Otherwise, not a chance.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

teh media

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You said it was a must read. For who exactly? I submit that it is for exactly the same people who have read 30 of these.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Exactly? Try again.

Those 30 you say you've read were by staffers and freelancers, some of whom might have talked with clinicians.

This was first-person accounts by the clinicians. As much as people in the business want something out of the box, something different, WaPo presents a little differently - at the very least, directly from them instead of through staffers/freelancers/editors - and you're here pissing all over it.

If you're going to troll, try harder, please.

matt_garth likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I try not to be a big identity politics guy, but Doyel writes everything with a narcissistic, bullying “look motherfucker” edge. It’s tiring.

So is the nurse testing thing. Do we want to test them daily? The only reason we’re doing that with athletes is because, without it, the hand-wringing over them not getting tested all the time would be relentless from the media. Hell - it has been relentless, and it pinballs around social media in a hyperventilating fashion.

If a nurse in Indiana can’t get tested whenever she wants that’s a story unto itself *regardless of whether athletes are getting tested* Tests are not a zero sum event at this point in terms of supply. Tests are not a power play. We have to stop applying power political dynamics to every part of every equation.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

there are dozens of first person accounts on social media every day. Of nurses and doctors staring right into a camera after their shift, saying these things.

There have been first person healthcare worker accounts for nine months.

I do not doubt their experiences. I think that Covid is awful and real. I just don’t know that it’s reaching the group of people that you think it’s reaching. I believe it is reaching the group of people who already agree.

I am not trolling. I am offering a counterpoint.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But they kind of are.

It's a resources and priorities question.

What are our priorities?

And how do we distribute our resources in service of them?

Draft saved Draft deleted