1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Was it though? I mean they hired an 83-year old writer, who has been churning reliably bad takes out for 50 years. It was 1970 when they protested him at Harper's.

It is like getting Tom Cotton to whip up a piece on why soldiers should be able to shoot the someones, just cause. So my thought is that the WSJ wanted a shitshow and instead of sending people out to pasture like the NYT did, they'd proved their editorial independence by dying on that hill. Gigot has already done that. Expect more.

Expect the newsroom to double down on their efforts to get opinion in line. And expect opinion to tell the newsroom to fuck off. Rinse and repeat every six months or so, but I'd assume a faster timeline with Biden around. Opinion needs controversy like a flame needs oxygen.

Gay Activists Alliance Zap at Harper's Magazine Offices

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you that it was a serious misfire. They rushed face first into a nerf gun fight and came out of it bloody.

At the same time, the relentless "misogynistic" and "sexist" campaign was par for the course. Gigot is not wrong about that. When you don't like someone's treatment of you, all you need to do nowadays is a targeted campaign of accusing them of a bunch of "isms" and know they will get buried under a pile on. It's particularly effective when you don't want to even address the substance of what the person has to say, which is why this was kind of curious to me. There were so many ways to have hit back at the piece with substance. Or even better, it was perfect for just taking the high road. ... what Biden has done with Trump, and come out looking fantastic as a result. I suspect it wasn't so much the political calculation Gigot tried to attribute it to as a more simple, "Fuck you, that's my wife."

FWIW, I personally have always found people with relatively easy doctorates who make sure you know they are "Dr. so and so" a joke. I still read that piece wondering why they picked that fight.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Get the shot.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Newsmaxipad , when the fake news flow is heavy.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes and no.

I take your point that as clickbait qua clickbait, Gigot gets what he wants.

To the wider world, it looks like a personal attack. Which it is, masquerading as social commentary about the comic book/cocktail party inflation of academic credentials. About which no one anywhere, even in the faculty lounge, cares.

That Gigot then gets to write the non-apology non-apology, setting the WSJ apart as a brave and lonely he-man voice standing athwart history and yelling 'subscribe!' is icing on the cake.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The "Dr." is merely a personal lack of security. If you need someone to say "Dr." there's not much else to say. The only lack of respect comes when its in the setting for which its intended, now for a medical doctor, okay they should be identified as such most of the time.

For an academic, that title is really for in the academic setting, not some random social setting.

So for the lawyer, its a must at all times :) (No in my 30+ yrs experience I've never even thought of being addressed that way)

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

It’s official
    California for Biden
    Everybody’s in but Hawaii

OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just burn down the NYT now. "Scrambling to make up for lost time". LOL

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

And no faithless elector controversy.

So, do the majority of Republicans finally acknowledge reality, as this is the event they pointed to?

The usually suspects in Congress will stamp their feet and hold their breath on Jan. 6, I’m sure.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I hope you still getting paid to write words elsewhere because that is one helluva line.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Yep, there's already more scrutiny about Biden's cabinet picks and whether or not they pass the muster of both the GOP and the liberal Dems than so many Trump interim or acting appointees who weren't even put up for confirmation.

OscarMadison and heyabbott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.