1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The evangelicals supported Fatf**k because he promised to protect “family” Christian values and appoint pro life judges. They didn’t care about anything else.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

News Corp.'s covfefe

cyclingwriter2 and TowelWaver like this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Best thing about supposed violence in DC? The place is 80% black. Yeah go invade Uganda and raise hell!! (I enjoy DC)

maumann likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

SDFG SDFG SDFG!!

Pass the morning covfefe.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think you're both kind of overreacting here. Our sample size of "celebrity carpetbagging into the presidency" is... one. Even Reagan was governor of California first. And for Trump, it took a Republican party without a good candidate, a Democratic party with a weak candidate, and his ability to tap into the previously unavailable base of Mom's Basement and Racist Uncle groups of voters. There have been plenty of Really Famous People who have run for a variety of political offices and not done well.

Also, after the results in Georgia last night, I'm doubling down on my theory of, "Trump's name on the ballot attracts the awful dregs to the polls," which could mean trouble for Republicans in 2024 if he's not running. Magically, the polls were fine for the run-off election, which didn't have Trump on the ballot. It's hard for me to believe that the grab bag of shit that couldn't beat Trump in the 2016 primaries (Cruz, Rubio), or the Diet Pepsi to his Diet Coke (Cotton, DeSantis), or a 78-year-old Donald Trump, is going to beat Biden or Harris in 2024. If anything, the party should be devoting its efforts to Tim Scott, who came off as a Not Insane Person to me from his appearance at the RNC.

OscarMadison, maumann, garrow and 2 others like this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

They finagled their way around the conflicts by holding up Nebuchadnezzar in one of the most flabbergasting acts of religious dishonesty I’ve ever encountered.

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Or Mr. Sasse.

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The "Donald Trump is not an appropriate choice to be President" Republicans face a long, steep climb to win back the deplorables, who represent at least 40 percent of the party.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

To @sgreenwell point, I know a handful of people who voted for the first time ever just to vote for Trump, who have no loyalty to the GOP and will probably never vote in a non-Trump election ever again.

They didn’t even vote downballot races. Just Trump.

They think the system is broken and Trump was the only shot for their kind of person to be helped. I don’t agree, but it’s their very pessimistic worldview.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's all for the best now, isn't it?

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Senate Minority Leader Moscow Mitch McConnell

Mngwa likes this.
  12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's all about the specific candidates. Warnock had a stronger hold on the black vote and was up against the worst candidate of the four - Loeffler is a scary Stepford wife. Meanwhile, Perdue looks and acts like every senator Georgia has ever had, while Ossoff is a super-young, rich, prep-school kid who hasn't ever really done anything meaningful.

Other than those differences, Senate candidates really don't matter on an individual level anymore. All that matters now is the party scoreboard being 50+1 to 50.

maumann likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.