1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

They saved the lives of hundreds of elected officials and their aides. Given the choices they had in that split-second, they made the correct one.

Liut, Scout and matt_garth like this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Not taking selfies with the terrorists is where I'd start

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Training determines outcomes. Capitol Police have been trained for and did execute their "protect those inside" protocols which were basically built around the scenarios of one or a few armed terrorists in the building (in 1954, five Puerto Rican nationalists opened fire on the House floor from the galleries). They were not trained, or not adequately trained, for a mass assault and therefore did not perform well in preventing/containing it.
    Capitol Police reports directly to the Congress. It has also been for almost its entire existence a patronage dumping ground. I am sure heads at the top will roll, and some lower ranks will find they've lost their patrons.

HanSenSE and sgreenwell like this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how much we collectively spend on the Capitol Police each year. But we can probably replace them relatively cheaply with tissue paper, and not sacrifice any of their protective capabilities.

Fred siegle and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I have relatives who are still fighting the first American Civil War in their minds. That same mix of aggrieved victim and bully boy puffery comes out every time they think they have an audience.

Pence, et al may have been able to hit the pause button last night, but Trump's insurrectionists are not going away that easily.

Machine Head and wicked like this.
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Once again: if it had been a mob of hippie peaceniks or angry black people, there would have been a thousand dead.
    Easy.

swingline and OscarMadison like this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gaetz is intrepid and comes from a long line of politicians. This is why Trumpism will continue.

High theater right here.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's a party of traitors. If there's one benefit to yesterday, it's a small one. Pelosi and Schumer's caucuses will be unexpectedly unified now. Conor Lamb ain't no AOC, but he's the one who almost started a brawl on the House floor by calling out the GOP members as liars. My personal advice, and I know it's a hard ask, is that if you are unfortunate enough to have Trumpist friends and family members, cut them out of your lives right now. It's not worth the stress, and they need to know there are consequences for embracing treason.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My only issue with the "treason" claims is that it's only treason . . . if you lose.

No treason . . . no United States.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

One guy.
    I’m sure everyone wants to be painted as Albom who made shit up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.