1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Especially given that if there's one country known for its design restraint and lack of color, it's India.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If that's a joke about Indian newspaper design, it went right over my head.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I believe it is a cricket joke.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It was a thinking man's protest. LOL

Mngwa and garrow like this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Dude looks like he’s gonna sell me a set of whitewalls.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

HanSenSE and wicked like this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Not today, Satan.
    ::saunters off, crunching a grape Jolly Rancher::

TigerVols likes this.
  9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This is probably the sort of discussion that only happens in environments such as copy desks. That being said, I think that using “coup” takes the lawless riot of Jan. 6 to a level it might not have earned.

Here’s part of a New York Times story that better expresses that line of thinking:

“But the violent, anti-democratic attack on the Capitol doesn’t fit the technical definition of a coup even though the president incited and encouraged it. That matters, experts say, because different actions are required to prevent this type of attack from harming democracy.

A coup is an illegal attempt to take power through force or the threat of force, usually involving at least a faction of the military or formal security forces, though sometimes they are backed by paramilitaries or other armed groups.

That’s not what happened in Washington yesterday.

Although some of the people that stormed the Capitol were armed, they do not appear to be part of any organized military or rebel organization. And while Mr. Trump encouraged his loyalists in his capacity as a leader of their movement, he did not try to call the military to their aid, or otherwise use the formal powers of the presidency to help them, said Naunihal Singh, a professor at the Naval War College whose research focuses on coups.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/world/americas/what-is-a-coup-attempt.html

That being said, a more commonly used definition of coup d'etat would be far less specific.

Perhaps it’s my own nativity or hopeful thinking, but I feel a coup is only a whisker away from civil war and I hope we are nowhere near that point.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think storming the Capitol is the definition of being a whisker away from a civil war.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trumpists are big mad about Twitter nuking tens of thousands of bots and real Qanon people.

TowelWaver likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It was a coup.

TowelWaver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.