1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Trump and the virus are Bush and 9/11. Both had ample warning. Both failed to take proper precautions for political reasons, including publicly rejecting the warnings and preparations of the prior democratic administrations.
    Because of Bush, 19 years later security guards are legally molesting women and children with nary an arched eye brow from the right wing Liberati.
    TrumpVirus has given us the 21 century depressing 20’s.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Dems quickly jettison their losing presidential candidates (even when they win the popular vote) while with Trump, the GOP is all:

When I'm with you Donny
    I go out of my head
    And I just can't get enough

All the things you do to me
    And everything you said
    I just can't get enough
    I just can't get enough

We're Kim Jong Un as we fall in love
    And I just can't seem to get enough
    We walk together
    We're walking down Pennsylvania Avenue

Every time I think of you
    I know we have to tweet

3. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

Feels like you're missing the obvious step of the federal government actually attempting to do something to control the raging pandemic that many people were recommending.

4. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just locker room talk

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"People like you." Heh.

If not for "people like me" the numbers would be far worse. Us INTPs have been avoiding crowds long before it became cool. We don't need hypocritical governors telling us how to behave. Comes naturally to us. :)

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'll take a hypocritical governor who believes in science over a willfully ignorant or conspiracy theorist governor every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

9. BTExpress

I'll take neither, actually. And I don't have to take either.

Although I did get a nice absentee voter application from DeSantis' office a few months ago, even though I haven't lived in Florida in more than nine years.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Oh, you've heard of Bill Lee.

TigerVols and OscarMadison like this.
  11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, and it is not worth much, the shutdowns aren't what shrunk the economy.

It was the virus that shrunk the economy. I'll say it louder for the people in the back, IT WAS THE VIRUS THAT SHRUNK THE ECONOMY.

Think of it this way, when there's an active tornado warning, traffic to retail slows since people don't want to die, they stay home. Even if the restaurant or bar or store or gas station is open, people still stay home, BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO DIE.

This isn't especially complicated but some people just don't want to get it.

SFIND, HanSenSE, wicked and 11 others like this.
  12. BTExpress

I'll buy that. But if you subscribe to that theory, you need to acknowledge that . . .

The openings of small businesses aren't what exploded the pandemic. People became infected in houses and during social events (weddings, birthday parties, church gatherings).

Because if so many people CHOSE not to patronize businesses (for fear of dying), they were choosing to put those fears aside and do SOMETHING ELSE that kept this thing thriving.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted