1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I thought it looked like fatf**k was going to have some decent attorneys but the most recent bailout shows that he's going to beat a verdict but to everyone but the GOP clowns in the Senate its going to be quite evident that he SHOULD be convicted. The court of public opinion should enforce their own judgment accordingly.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Is the Trump defense really going to be that the attack was justified because the election was stolen?

I really hope they go with that. The gutless Trump senators will will acquit him. But at least they’ll look even worse (if that’s possible).

Driftwood likes this.
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It won't bother them, and never will. That takes a conscience and the ability to think and reflect. People with no bottom possess none of those tendencies.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So this talk about Trump’s legal team is hilarious. Even if he goes full Col. Jessep, the GOP is going to acquit. His trial is basically going to be Democrats laying out a fully fleshed out legal argument showing Trump incited the riot to cling to power and that there is plenty of precedent to convict him even if he’s out of office. Trump’s defense is going to basically say “ca-mon” and GOP are going to declare it legit and enough of them will acquit.

(And I know the C’mon is a bit from somewhere but I can’t place it. I think it’s a court room gag but my searches for it aren’t finding anything helpful)

Inky_Wretch and OscarMadison like this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yep. Which is why the Dems better not fall for the calls of bipartisanship and unity when it comes to legislation.

All republicans will do again is water it down and not vote for it anyway.

Use the two shots at using budget reconciliation to get the two big-ticket items done, COVID rescue package and infrastructure.

When republicans won’t move on anything else, give Manchin and Senima the pork they want to get rid of the filibuster.

Get the country back on track and win more seats in 2022.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is the Dems opportunity to layout some fine points about the brutality of the Capitol invasions, all the videos, all of the evidence showing the thievery and the destruction, and finally the attacks on the police, the verdict is irrelevant at this point.

Many times, the trial (civil or criminal) isn't about the verdict but about pulling together the complete story and telling it for history.

Paint the picture. Let America see all of the destruction that Trump wrought.

wicked, swingline, Driftwood and 4 others like this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Tell every one of the Republicans to stand or sit aside. The adults are in the room now and will get things done.

I was never for any attempt at bipartisanship, not because I like sounding like the tough guy, but because the Republicans - as a whole - never have and never will act in good faith and couldn't care less about working with anyone. If anyone thought that the majority of Republicans on Capitol Hill were the first bit interested in working with anyone, you're the sucker. They've already tried some take-it-or-leave-it crap with a skinny stimulus bill with Chuck Schumer, who sniffed it out and made clear that the Republicans are no longer in charge.

If they're not going to make the effort under any circumstances, then they can sit in the corner, stick out their lower lip, sit Indian style in the middle of the floor and puff out their cheeks. Could not care less.

Driftwood, garrow, matt_garth and 2 others like this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Terror Party doesn't care.

heyabbott likes this.
  10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

God bless the pure banality of this tweet.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I didn’t know just how much I needed a normcore presidency until I started falling asleep listening to the first White House briefing.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted