1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I’d be unemployed, unemployable in my current field and unable to turn to my family or my wife’s for any help.

You do you, but I’m going to continue to send articles to my family that show them what they’re wrong about and engage when there’s a reasonable discussion to be had. And at work I’m going to keep my mouth shut and continue to pay my fucking mortgage.

I have a 3 year old and, we’re praying, on Tuesday a newborn and you want me to “cut off all contact!!!! Tell them I know where they work and live!!!!”

Haha, yeah, no.

Driftwood, BTExpress and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The vast majority of Republicans I know are pretty normal people who are struggling with their changing role in the world and take in too much bad information from Facebook and cable news. They’re almost all more concerned with how government will impact their business and how Biden’s tax laws will affect passing down their family farm than they are voter fraud or a border wall.

I haven’t voted for a Republican since 2008, and I won’t until the party purges itself of the delusional, anti-intellectual bullshit and the grandstanding assholes. But to act like the average Republican is Nathan Bedford Forrest reincarnated is absurd and shows your own social and political limitations.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Largely agree....but...

The average German wasn’t Hitler in 1933, either. (Note: I stopped having qualms using the comparison after Jan. 6)

The average Republican in 2015 wasn’t a Trumpist.

It only takes a self-interested passivity for these movements to build.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My cousin, a gay man married to a Latino man living in New York, is a hardcore Republican and Trumper, which I could never understand. If the GOP had its way, he’d have never been able to marry the man he loves. It baffled me.

Until today, when he posted on social media, “Republicans spent eight years crying about the man in the Oval Office and Democrats just spent four years crying about the next guy. Now we’re back to Republican tears. I don’t care about anything other than my effective tax rate.”

Ugh.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Apparently he decided he was going to be happy with the man he loves regardless.

Good for him.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

My dad is terrified my brother and I will need to sell half the family farm to pay the taxes to inherent the other half if he passes away and the taxes laws are what Biden’s proposed.

I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t vote for Hitler to avoid this happening, but he didn’t think Trump was Hitler. He does watch too much Fox News, but acts like he knows it’s somewhat bullshit. But a degree of the bullshit seeps in anyway. (He doesn’t think Biden stole the election, but does think that mail voting is ripe for problems.)

Democrats are going to need to win some major wars on messaging, and the world is going to need to find some serious answers for Fox News and the like to win votes like that. And they’re going to need better answers for rural America, because not all those concerns are invalid.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. BTExpress

Lots of ways around that. Just need to find the way that's the best fit for you and your brother.

Pilot likes this.
  10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I don’t know the details well enough to articulate his concerns publicly, other than the say they mostly concern an elimination of the stepped-up basis.

He’s usually fairly astute when it comes to finances so I guess we will see what happens.

11. BTExpress

Oooh, I didn't know elimination of stepped-up basis was one of Biden's plans. Hope that never happens. An absolute fuck you to the middle class if it does.

My late father's house goes on the market soon. Bought for $8,000 in 1954. Yeah, it's worth a little more now.

Driftwood and Pilot like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We may have been on to something with crossfit.

Draft saved Draft deleted