1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    There are two ways to go with this chart - one, technology has made it easier to be more productive (which is true) and the gap between the lower line and the upper line is very comparable with the wealth inequality gap over the same period (so somebody is making the money). And no - it doesn't have to be this way, it isn't a "natural" outcome of the economy - it has happened via legislation, tax breaks etc. as the European graph lines show.
    [​IMG]

2muchcoffeeman and champ_kind like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

lol I put the chances of this happening at 1%

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Cuomo does have a Leisure Suit Larry feel to him.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Do you eat at fast food places? While I agree that there are still some kids using them as entry-level, part-time jobs.... it's really not all of the workers. Lots of seniors. And others. So, I disagree. I think if you work a full-time job in America.. don't care what it is... you should be able to have a home, a car (or afford public transportation), basic utilities plus streaming/cable, phone and food and some discretionary money. I'm not talking about flying overseas, but able to drive to the beach for a vacation or go out to eat once or twice a week. $15 is $600 dollars a week. That's barely enough.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ay, there's the rub.

At my wife's store there are exactly three full-time employees (manager, logistics manager, replenishment manager), out of about two dozen. She wants to be a replenishment manager. I doubt that's ever going to happen.

Full-time employees basically can have everything you laid out. Problem is, lack of people getting the hours and/or benefits to be full-time.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    lakefront and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Did you read my post? I specifically said part-time fast food/grocery store jobs for kids and followed that up by saying raise it for actual jobs.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I did miss the phrase part-time. Apologies.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm in that boat now where I'm working 38 hours per week - two less than needed to get benefits.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, that sucks.

My wife was working plenty of 40-hour weeks before the company's latest edict. Actually became full-time during a nine-month experiment (one associate in high-volume stores can be full-time) that was discontinued as soon as those nine months were up.

So she's back on my health insurance (which costs 2 people 3.5 times more than just insuring myself) . . . until I get thrown overboard.

Raising minimum wage without creating some minimum benefits is just putting a dirty band-aid on a problem.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

OK, but if is set up that way the franchise owner is going to hire a bunch of kids at the part-time el cheapo rate and toss the 40-something folks who are just getting by (and bless their hearts aren’t cut out for much more) out on their ass. And then people will bitch when those 40-somethings need to use (more) safety net benefits.

Fast food crews haven’t been primarily students for a long damn time now.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't have an answer for that Catch-22, and it really won't be any different than when places start putting in self service kiosks. People will lose jobs if it's cheaper to go automated vs. paying higher wages. If you turn minimal skill jobs into careers, then the kids don't get entry level jobs. It may be a death spiral any way you look at it.
    Most of the students I have who work either work in dining places (fast food or chain sit down) or grocery stores. I can go into about any local place at any given time and have a current or recently graduate/in college student working there. They don't go to after school jobs at local factories or car dealerships.

Draft saved Draft deleted