1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In other news, Rush Limbaugh is STILL DEAD.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As a House member, Ed Markey was one of the main leaders in pushing up the switch to DST from early April to mid-March. No surprise he signed on to this. It is a good idea, but there was push for this in the early '70s on the grounds it'd help with the energy crisis, and it failed when parents objected to having to have schoolkids wait for the morning bus in the dark.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The time zone thing depends on where you live in relation to the boundary. I sit on the eastern edge of the Central Time Zone, so year round DST would mean December sunrises shortly before 8 am. Hard pass.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I grew up on the western edge of the Eastern Time Zone. Summer meant still playing wiffle ball at 9 p.m.

Fred siegle and Driftwood like this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sun is coming up before 6:20 a.m. here now. Will be happy to get to Sunday so we've got that extra hour on the back end of the day rather than the front.

7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Best nickname for her in the comments: Klannie Oakley.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Bring on year round DST.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

1,000 percent behind year-round DST. Move the clocks ahead, leave them ahead.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Second Amendment solutions, bought to you by Sherwin-Williams.

garrow and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  11. HanSenSE

12. HanSenSE

Didn't miss messing with clocks when I lived in Arizona, which is on Mountain Time in the winter and Pacific the rest of the year. Saw at least one out-of-state visitor (I was near the borders of California and Nevada) try to buy a ticket for a movie that had started an hour earlier. Biggest problem I had was on the nights I did the sports pages. If the Suns, ASU or Arizona were playing a West Coast team on the road, we couldn't get it in the paper because of the late start, unless our TV pals demanded an earlier start. One Monday night I had to push the panic button when the fourth quarter of MNF started a half-hour before deadline and I knew it wouldn't be over by deadline. Also held front open as long as I could during Game 5 of the 2004 ALCS and was happy we at least got the AP News Now story in the paper (thanks, Big Papi) ... only to see the Arizona Republic got in the first lead.

But the biggest problem was alluded to above: Does anyone really want kids walking to school, or waiting by the bus stop, in the dark?

Draft saved Draft deleted