1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I kind of hate myself that the first thing I wondered is how he made it from Cherokee County to Abernathy Road in 45 minutes, even going against traffic that time of day.

maumann likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’m guessing a guy who killed eight wasn’t following traffic regulations.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Acho really stuck that ball carrier well short of the first down marker.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I'm Jewish too. We had an antisemitic family in our neighborhood that vandalized our house on more than one occasion with the police refusing to do a thing about it. I heard the same insults in college in the late '80s and early '90s that you did when I was in situations where people knew what I was and I was the only around. It sucks. Anti-semitism is a bigger problem than people realize -- they think because Jews have done well socioeconomically that it's not a thing. That said, I would never even think of conflating the digs I've experienced with the lived reality of a black person in this country. Your construction worker meme is the height of disingenuous, obtuse bullshit (I say that as someone who generally respects and agrees with a lot of what you have to say). That's because that guy meeting the deadline was likely hired over a number of black workers who didn't get a second look from the racist contractor. Or he's probably union and the others aren't. Or he's the foreman. That's the reality. White privilege doesn't mean you had it easy or didn't work hard. It means your race wasn't a strike against you or a cause of skepticism from the get-go. It means there was an extra, significant barrier you didn't have to clear. And that's true if you're Jewish too. It's just. Not. The. Same. And all too many Jews think blacks should love them and be grateful to them and kiss their asses because their now-elderly rabbi or great-uncle or whoever "marched with King." My dad actually did. But I also hear a hell of a lot of racist comments among Jews.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    PCLoadLetter, MTM, matt_garth and 6 others like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’m concerned we might cancel the culture of killing groups of minorities for pleasure.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Called it.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have not seen his demeanor when the suspect said these things but I'm not inclined to just immediately dismiss any racial element just because the murderer of 6 people stated his position. I'm not going to immediately brand it Anti-Asian terror either.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Is yellow fever part of his “sexual addiction”?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I get that the motivation matters and I understand why people would want to know if it is racism and bigotry driving an act like this.

But this is all about "hate crime" laws, which make it so that they can charge it differently (with harsher punishment). Those laws have always been a problem.

Two people commit the same crime -- say they each murder someone. Those laws elevate one of the murders to something more punishable if you attribute (rightly or wrongly, because how do you really get in someone's head?) a different motivation to it.

As I said, it's fair to want to know the motivation to try to deal with racism if that was a motivating factor, but the crime should be the act itself, and the punishment should be dependent on the crime itself. ... not an argument a prosecutor makes about what the person was thinking when they committed the crime.

I have always found hate crime laws Orwellian in that regard. They make people feel good (in a vengeful way), but we already had the laws to punish the actual crimes before they decided to elevate some crimes over similar crimes based on attributing a motivation to the act.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If he’s a sex addict, why would he kill people who possibly might satisfy those urges? Makes no sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted