1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

The Florida senate has also passed a bill that allows the state to determine what are appropriate majors for a certain segment of high performing HS students who earn a particular scholarship from FL, funded by lottery money, not taxes. If kids major in an 'unapproved' field that allegedly doesn't lead to employment, their award can be suspended.

No reason to think the House won't pass it.

Talk about government over reach.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Gaetz-tied group threatens to sue reporters writing on his Trump relationship

LOL

The official behind the recent legal threats is Erin Elmore. ...a Season 3 contestant on “The Apprentice.” “Ladies and gentelman [sic], the GREATEST President of the United States,” she captioned an Instagram photo of her and Trump inside his gilded oceanside resort last month.

Also:

Trump finally put out a statement this week that said, “Congressman Matt Gaetz has never asked me for a pardon. It must also be remembered that he has totally denied the accusations against him.”

Denials=proof of innocence

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Hey, it worked for Pootie.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Want to hurt the middle class? Make them pay tens of thousands of dollars in capital gains tax because they are inheriting a $400,000 home their dad bought for $70,000 many years ago.

Patchen likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They’re still getting a $400K home they didn’t earn. My mom just told me they’re doing their will and are sitting on about $2M. I have no idea what I’ll end up getting, but it wasn’t my money, I didn’t earn it, and I’m happy to pay taxes on it.

So shut the fuck up, you selfish asshole.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Unless "middle class" dad's estate is valued over $11 million, the entire house will be included in the estate, covered by the $11 million dollar estate tax exemption, had its cost-basis reset, and then can be sold tax free.

You're welcome.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My late sister and brother-in-law set up their estates separately. Even the kids' estates were separate. They had a large business, rental homes, second homes. The second homes and rentals were in my sister's estate, the business and other things were in my brother-in-law's. My BIL did it that way to avoid the tax hit if it was all together. I was one of six beneficiaries for my sister's and BIL's estates, though not equally and was the executor of all of the estates. The grandparents were the beneficiaries of the kids' estates.

Their lawyer set it up that way and it ended up my BIL's estate came very close to the $5.45 million threshold but didn't cross it. If it had been combined with the kids' and my sister's, it would have been well over it.

The six of us paid a good amount of taxes, but nowhere near what it could have been.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The estate tax exemption is now $11 million for individuals, and $22 million for couples. I hope and pray my kids have to worry about paying estate taxes when I die.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Every one of these people should be arrested, bound over for trial and sent to prison if convicted.

Trump appointees in the Health and Human Services department last year privately touted their efforts to block or alter scientists’ reports on the coronavirus to more closely align with then-President Donald Trump’s more optimistic messages about the outbreak, according to newly released documents from congressional investigators.

The documents provide further insight into how senior Trump officials approached last year’s explosion of coronavirus cases in the United States. Even as career government scientists worked to combat the virus, a cadre of Trump appointees were attempting to blunt the scientists’ messages, edit their findings and equip the president with an alternate set of talking points.

Then-science adviser Paul Alexander wrote to then-HHS public affairs chief Michael Caputo on Sept. 9, 2020, touting two examples of where he said officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had bowed to his pressure and changed language in their reports, according to an email obtained by the House’s select subcommittee on the coronavirus outbreak.

Pointing to one change — where CDC leaders allegedly changed the opening sentence of a report about spread of the virus among younger people after Alexander pressured them — Alexander wrote to Caputo, calling it a “small victory but a victory nonetheless and yippee!!!”

In the same email, Alexander touted another example of a change to a weekly report from the CDC that he said the agency made in response to his demands. The Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports (MMWR), which offer public updates on scientists’ findings, had been considered sacrosanct for decades and untouchable by political appointees in the past.

Two days later, Alexander appealed to then-White House adviser Scott Atlas to help him dispute an upcoming CDC report on coronavirus-related deaths among young Americans.

“Can you help me craft an op-ed,” Alexander wrote to Atlas on Sept. 11, alleging the CDC report was “timed for the election” and an attempt to keep schools closed even as Trump pushed to reopen them. “Let us advise the President and get permission to preempt this please for it will run for the weekend so we need to blunt the edge as it is misleading.”

Alexander and other officials also strategized on how to help Trump argue to reopen the economy in the midst of the coronavirus outbreak, despite scientists’ warnings about the potential risks.

“I know the President wants us to enumerate the economic cost of not reopening. We need solid estimates to be able to say something like: 50,000 more cancer deaths! 40,000 more heart attacks! 25,000 more suicides!” Caputo wrote to Alexander on May 16, 2020, in an email obtained by the subcommittee.

“You need to take ownership of these numbers. This is singularly important to what you and I want to achieve,” Caputo added in a follow-up email, urging Alexander to compile additional data on the consequences of virus-related shutdowns.

Atlas, Alexander and Caputo did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Many of the Trump officials clashing with government scientists had little or no previous experience in combating infectious disease. Caputo, a GOP political communications consultant and longtime Trump ally, had not previously worked in public health before Trump installed him to oversee the health department’s communications in April 2020.

Alexander, who was not a physician but recruited as Caputo’s handpicked science adviser, had previously been an unpaid, part-time health professor at Canada’s McMaster University. Atlas was a radiologist neuroradiologist and senior fellow at Stanford University’s conservative Hoover Institution who caught the White House’s attention after defending the Trump administration’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic on Fox News.​

Trump officials celebrated efforts to change CDC reports on coronavirus, emails show — The Washington Post

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any major corporations come out against Biden's proposal to raise the corporate tax rate. That speaks volumes as to what an absolute gift Trump's tax break really was. Maybe some have come out against Biden's proposal and I didn't see them but, by and large, it sure doesn't seem like they're particularly upset about it.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Stepped Up Basis Reform: Biden's Middle-Class Tax Hike?

You're welcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted