1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

grinding the all-38 tape on north korea

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The media has cost Covid-19 a scholarship.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Bite me, Jon.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I blame Belgium.

Driftwood, wicked and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

As diseased as he is, you might want to keep six feet of distance ...

Driftwood and OscarMadison like this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Imagine if someone had complained that the media only focused on the negative aspects of 9/11.

7. Michael_ Gee

You only write about us when we kill three million people!

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“On the other hand, the Taliban has nice hats.”

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It’s terrible that people died at the Pentagon, but hey, at least now there are only four sides of the building now!

SFIND and Donny in his element like this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I posted it elsewhere and will here:

The US coverage is uniquely, unusually negative compared to peers.

I won't go too deep here because, well, what's the point, but an example was the "What are we doing? What are we doing!" reporting from the summer about professional and collegiate sports opening up.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We've been through this. And even the exalted Rick Stain was in agreement.

If some scientific journal claims a vaccine likely will be 98% effective, and the headline in the news says "Scientists say vaccine won't be 100% effective," that's fucked up. And that's how we've approached many developments. Always looking at the negatives that "may" happen --- regardless of how remote the chances --- and highlighting them. Call it Eric Feigl-Ding Syndrome.

Many on here (ahem, ahem) were blaming "playing games during a pandemic" for Keyontae Johnson's collapsing during that UF game several months ago. That's the point Alma is making above. Shaming and scolding for something that, it turns out, had nothing to do with what happened.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  12. Michael_ Gee

Alma, give it up. Coverage of a plague is bound to trend towards the negative. Your earlier post citing China and Russia coverage of the pandemic as somehow equal in value to what the US has done destroyed any possible merit your contention might have had. I will gladly concede that American media coverage of medicine and health in general has sucked for a long time, since it swings wildly between, "science insures immortality" to "your closet will kill you tonight" with very little in between.

Draft saved Draft deleted