1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

#TeamPfizer. ... or at least I'm a junior member until my second shot on May 10.

One of the people working the local vaccination clinic was a former Associate Publisher of the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star (he was a member of the family that owned the paper for 75 years). I've seen lots of terrible ownership stories here, but the Rowes were genuinely good folks who cared about the community. Thank goodness the hedge fund was able to push the family out.

HanSenSE, lakefront, SFIND and 2 others like this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bingo. And, for what it’s worth, *I* think it’s the decent thing to do.

But scientists are not decency experts. People have the sense that hard scientists have, in this case and others, moved past the work of hard science into soft science - into how to live. Generally, it’s not their area of expertise. What started out, for example, as local weather forecasters offering thoughts on how to react to tornadoes and hurricanes based on their behavior had morphed into often daily advice on what to wear, what activities to do outside, etc. it’s harmless nonsense, but nonsense nonetheless; tell me the temp and I’ll figure out what to wear.

Masks should not be symbology props in a solidarity study. if you told people, on this side of vaccination, it’s up to them whether they want to wear masks or not - and businesses could, as always, require that as they wished - we might have been surprised by how many still wore masks.

3. Justin_Rice

I don't think we'd be surprised at all.

If you're a "I ain't wearin' no mask! Free-Dumb!" asshole at this point, you were always going to be one, no matter how nicely you were asked.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Alabama had its spring game Saturday and opened it up to 50 percent capacity. (They actually got slightly less - 47k.) I will let other people slug it out over whether that was the right move this soon, but what struck me was the pent up behavior of the people who came to town.

Police respond to 271 calls for service, seize 6 weapons in Tuscaloosa during packed A-Day weekend

Is that what is going to be like at beaches and amusement parks this summer and campuses this fall, just everyone burning off their cabin fever by getting wild and reckless as hell outside of virology?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's exactly what it's going to be like.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So you think it's probably time to let vaccinated folks take off the mask?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good luck. I know I felt a little more relaxed about all of this even just getting the first one.

OscarMadison and BTExpress like this.
  8. Justin_Rice

If the vaccinated mask wearers take off the mask, everyone's going to take off their mask.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. outofplace

Why? Medical experts are telling us to keep them on, at least indoors. What makes you think you know better than them?

10. outofplace

Yup. I'm sure that is part of why the advice from the CDC is for people to keep wearing them even after being vaccinated.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yep, and there are too many people out there who haven't even received their first dose. I'm fine with masking until we get more of the population vaccinated. I'm also going to have no issue going into places I wouldn't go before -- i.e., movie theaters.

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  12. outofplace

Scientists are telling people to do what they think will keep the most people safe. It isn't entirely symbolic for the people who have been vaccinated. There is still a risk that they can contract and spread the virus, though it is likely to be less severe for those who have gotten the vaccine.

The thing is, you are basing this on assumptions. The medical advice is for everybody to keep wearing the masks for now, including those who have been vaccinated. Your theory is not good enough reason to ignore that advice no matter how much you want to take your mask off.

OscarMadison and SFIND like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted