1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'd like to think I'd be arguing for the same thing, that it should be a state, but I realize there isn't really a "right wing" comparable to it right now, short of doing something stupid like splitting some already rural state in two.

I guess what kind of fascinates me about the Republicans recent efforts when it comes to shrinking voting pools and opposing D.C. statehood, is that it's kind of like an NBA team that has REALLY decided to work over the refs instead of trying to score points. How about just trying to appeal to voters and to compete? It's like they took the opposite lesson from the results in Georgia, or, from how Trump gained support in Miami. I have no clue if momentum from the restrictive voter laws in Georgia will carryover to 2022 elections, but as of right now, I'm positive Democrats in that area are feasting on national campaign contributions.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There was one Dakota Territory. There are now the states of North and South Dakota because the then-Republican Congress of the 1880s needed more states to counter the Solid South bloc of Democrats in the Senate. None of this is new.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm aware that it has happened in the past, but it isn't like there is some ready-made population out there that's a direct comparable. The currently ruling political party in Puerto Rico is more conservative than the other two, but it's hard for me to imagine that they're going to be immediate Republican allies if they're admitted into the U.S.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the US would benefit from a relegation system to encourage states to improve their quality of life indexes. Keep the 50 states, but if you are at the bottom come census time, you become a territory, lose your senators and only get one delegate to Congress (who will get a real vote - I'm not cruel).

I do find it fascinating that a lot of these decisions where and when to grant statehood were largely dictates by pending war, or a spike of economic interest (some not long-lasting) than by some long-range planning (most cities spend more time planning where they want residential and where they want commercial than Congress did in laying out the states). And we're still feeling the consequences today. Seriously, Wyoming should be divvied up between Nebraska, Colorado and Montana.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Puerto Rico has a higher number of U.S. citizens than a whole bunch of states.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is Sen. Rubio advocating for looser immigration policies? Higher pay?

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They'll just claim that the higher unemployment checks have allowed workers to choose to sit home on their asses.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Li’l Marco can fuck right off.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

LOL. “Free speech.”

11. Neutral Corner

12. Neutral Corner

ROFL. Riiiiight, Lyin' Ted.