1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the hunting hobby. The first recorded efforts at conservation was a bred buffalo herd a century ago, not to replenish what had been lost but to provide for sport hunting. I've been in Alaska Rep. Don Young's office, and every inch of the walls are covered with his hunting trophies, some from Africa, along with a seven-foot grizzly bear inside the front door.

I have friends who enjoy it but you won't find me "hunting the gutpile".

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I have no problem with hunting for meat. I have a huge problem with hunting for wall art.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

LOL at this pr*ck.

[​IMG]

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In many states, mine included, the folks hunting deer strictly for pleasure are still performing a public service by keeping the populations in check.

But they’re working for it. A setup like LaPierre’s where someone basically presents an exotic animal on a silver platter and you fire knowing you don’t have the skill to avoid it suffering? There’s no honor in that. It is the very definition of a participation trophy.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Most of the time, the professional hunter partners with local tribes and villages and gives every ounce of the meat to them. Basically, nothing goes to waste.

There's a strong case to be made that safari hunting is a driving force for preservation efforts in Africa.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2262681/why-you-shouldnt-be-outraged-elephant-hunting

Songbird and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

How many crayons were sacrificed to make this publication?

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

It’s a shame the Daily News is just a husk. Today would’ve been entertaining in the time of the tabloid wars.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I’ve always kinda sorta thought the hunting lobby wing populated by the likes of Ducks Unlimited were ok folks. Maybe I’ve been wrong about that?

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Most groups like DU, Trout Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elf Foundation, etc. are about conservation.
    Hunting is necessary to control animal population. Even with hunting, we have deer in shopping center parking lots and bears knocking over trash cans at bbq joints.
    As @dixiehack noted, even the "sport" hunters have to do the work, which for them is the point. They donate the meat to food banks.
    I'm not a fan of paid trophy hunts.
    Don't kill it if you ain't gonna grill it.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Fred siegle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted