1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I can almost live with his new-found fiscal caution. I don’t agree with it, but it is within the bounds of rational political belief.

But when he hides behind the skirts of the filibuster to essentially kill restoring voting rights protections, that calls into question if he ever really wants to be a Democrat. Whites hostile to multiracial democracy have already sorted themselves out of voting for Democrats. The people he imagines this is playing well to aren’t voting for him anymore regardless. I know he can no more imagine being out of office than he can imagine breathing underwater, but he might already be on his last chance to use his accumulated power to do right by his country.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There's never a military re-enactor around when you really need them.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm with Biden on the requiring a filibuster to be an actual filibuster - by all means argue against voting rights long enough for 64 million Americans to miss a Social Security check or a federal paycheck and see how that works out for you when its on CSPAN 24/7 and you're reading Dr. Seuss and Ayn Rand. There has to be risk and reward for the filibuster to work effectively.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

GOP: We need to help blue collar workers
    Biden: Here is my plan to help blue collar workers
    GOP: That’s divisive class warfare!!!

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If members of Congress and the Senate want us to stay in Afghanistan - declare war, put your name on it - they never, ever have - even those still serving who gave W. the blank check a week after 9/11 never seemed to interested in the specifics - as long as the military contractors were happy, they were happy.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

First he tries to ban whoppers. Then he tells a couple. Typical.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If it only it were just military contractors. Military leaders want it, too. The march of freedom and whatnot. They're missionaries of democracy. Moral tourists.

Pastors do this sometimes - make a big show of "leaving America" and heading overseas, which they do, but damn if they don't seem to be back in America a lot.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The military is a bureaucracy. Bureaucracies are power hungry. And they are not self sustaining. The bureaucrats in the military recognize that limited resources are available to feed bureaucracies, so they need to prove their relevance and enhance the status of their own bureaucracy to grow and attain more power. That often comes to the detriment of the country. They are not missionaries of democracy. They are missionaries of trying to keep themselves in business and getting bigger and more powerful.

11. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think it's more than power at this point. Less about power, frankly, and more about a kind of morality. That was at play in Afghanistan, there isn't any question.

Draft saved Draft deleted