1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

It's creepy when people have dossiers on other posters.

Interesting fact: Dossier and parachute both are French words. Le monde est petit.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Joe Rogan's celebrity is perfectly fitted to the times.
    The talisman of befuddled morons everywhere.

Inky_Wretch and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

They have always been there. They just have a way to communicate with each other outside of flea markets.

Octave likes this.
  5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I'm OK with it. The country was always one-third idiot, even if they didn't pose such a dire risk to others as they do now.

Joe Rogan is one of their spokespeople. Don't expect him to be Spinoza or anything.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I see a scenario where big cities are back to normal while the sticks have a slow trickle of deaths for months and months.

All while people out here declare the big city is way too dangerous for them to ever want to visit....

TigerVols likes this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

From what I'm reading, it has hit a pandemic high. Last week there was an average of more than 2 million weekday riders for the first time in 13 months.

But that's still way down, about 60 percent from pre-pandemic, because so many job commuters are still working from home.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

While it is true that Thomas Sowell dropped out of high school, that is more a quirk of his biography than a defining feature. After the military he graduated from Harvard, then went on to post-grad degrees at Columbia and Chicago. Further, he’s a syndicated columnist whose writings can be easily accessed. You don’t have to agree with the content to appreciate the brainpower behind them.

Also, dude ages better than Pappy Van Winkle. I would have figured him for about 70-75ish. Nope. Age 90.

doctorquant likes this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Definitely possible. I think more than half of NYC has been vaxxed. The daily numbers are steady on vaccinations. I assume it's only like 20 percent on Staten Island though.

Crime has definitely ticked up over the last year. Though it's not some sort of hellscape the NY Post wants people to believe (honestly, I have no idea what readers they're serving, because it sure as fuck isn't New Yorkers).

But for tourists, I think the allure of the big city will be back pretty soon, as long as COVID is under control. The ones who preach about the unsafe scary city were never visiting anyway.

wicked and Hermes like this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’m probably projecting from my experience of people around me who somehow think I’m going to get gunned down in front of a Shake Shack on Michigan Avenue the second I exit Millennium Station in Chicago.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Joe Rogan is not a great thinker. He speaks his mind and has some heterodox opinions on stuff - I don’t agree with many of them but people are interested in “different.”

Joe Rogan is a commentary on just how weak public intellectual thought has become, in part public intellectuals have become about as interested in real debate as the promoters of boxers are interested in real fights.

That’s part of what we ceded when Jon Stewart, a first-rate elitist, was busy lecturing the media about how to debate and who was and wasn’t a dick. We have a series of monologues now. Essays. Arguments in a vacuum, that are then answered by other arguments in a vacuum. James Baldwin probably went undefeated in public debate - he’s one of the best who ever lived at public intellectual debate - but he had his share of those debates. He loved it. And we need many more of him.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I always loved “different thinkers” and conspiracy theories in the early days of the internet, but got creeped out when I realized about 10 years ago that people took it seriously. The 9/11 theories were where I started to sense a change in tone.

I think about Bill Simmons bringing on Chuck Klosterman to game theory conspiracy theories in the early days of podcasting. I thought they were a fun lark, as weird as that now seems to say about those two in hindsight. And then it became clear that people were taking these things seriously.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted