1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Desperado,
    Oh, you ain't getting no younger.
    Your pain and your hunger,
    They're driving you home.

And freedom, ohhhhh, freedom –
    Well, that's just some people talking.
    Your prison is walking through this world all alone.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It's only a little more than is currently free. One additional year of Pre-K plus two post high school years. Are you against the current free offerings of public education?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am all for a compulsory education for children, because children can't make informed decisions for themselves.

I am even OK with a free education being provided for young people who want it, up to a certain age, because they still don't have the means or ability to provide for themselves yet.

At a certain point, though, we need to enter adulthood and we need to take care of ourselves and make decisions for ourselves about what we want to do -- balancing the requirements to provide for ourselves with things we want. An education -- any type of education -- comes with a cost. When you offer people anything for "free" you drive up the costs, because when people are not directly responsible for the cost of something, they will consume way more of it than they will if they have to balance the cost with the benefit for themselves. The cradle-to-grave welfare system is going to sink us because of this. As I said, no thanks.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

walt clyde frazier fox news contributor

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Took a duck boat ride in Boston.

Guy running it talked about The Big Dig, which is finished, but give this perspective.

People complained a lot about The Big Dig, but for a lot of people it meant you could get a new backpack for your kid every year at the start of school and not every other year. The Big Dig created a lot of good jobs for a lot of people.

So, if “bottom up” economics gets this guy’s kid a new back pack every year and costs a hedge funder a percentage off their wealth, then dig away.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Well, I went uptown riding in my limousine
    With my fine Park Avenue clothes
    I had the Diet Coke in my hand
    And the Adderall up my nose
    And when I wake up in the morning
    I'm still the same old liar
    And without glasses I can't see
    When you're out of coffee
    Don't come bitchin' to me

Because you know I used to be a big shot, didn't you
    Always had to open my mouth
    Used to be a big shot oh yeah
    All my friends were so locked up
    I always have to have the last word, every night
    I know what everything's about
    I have to have a white hot spotlight
    Every damn night

Annnndd they were all impressed with my younger wife
    And the people that I knew in DC
    And the story of the success of 2016
    Kept 'em so entertained
    Oh, but now I don't remember
    All the people who lied for me

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I haven't quite finished it yet, and have to stop and go to work now.

It is terrific, and engrossing, but I found myself kind of amused that they'd brought in food to wait out the night before the OBL raid -- and they weren't happy with somebody's choice of veggie platters and brought in pizzas later! Just like Super Bowl Sunday, or an election night in a newsroom. :)

TigerVols likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Came here to say that as of right now, Sloppy Steve and I have the same length hair.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

No play for Mr. Gray.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) You can create "good jobs" people in lots of ways. I can hire people to break windows. Then I can hire people to repair all the broken windows. Look at all the jobs. Someone can then boast about all the good jobs the program or policy created. Of course, societally we are way worse off for having wasted resources that way. And what is always missed is the opportunity cost of the way better jobs -- the higher aggregated standard of living -- we never knew, because they were crowded out as a result of the command economy you just advocated for.

2) I believe you think you know how to spend other people's money best. That is the great thing about other people's money. It's like. ... well, free money, so we an do lots of glorious things with it! The obvious economic cost to you deciding what is best for everyone else is that that capital going to your hand-picked projects is not necessarily efficient or best for everyone in the aggregate. When I take a dollar of my capital and decide where *I* think it is likely to give the best return, I am going to consider that I am a dollar poorer if I make bad choices. Experience has taught us that people make particularly bad choices when they aren't responsible (say financially) for the consequences of those kinds of big expenditures.

Again, no thanks. You may be well meaning. But this crap makes us worse off, not better. You'd think people would wake up to it.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I would love an example of libertarianism working in practice anywhere.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Tell me how three additional years of education does anything that you're alleging it will? You can't. And in fact I could say the opposite, the fact that we educate people free after the age they are, say 15, turns them into simpering fools who can only exist by sucking on the teat of the government. Probably more proof for that than the one you're espousing. And yet one could make a convincing argument that a lack of education is destroying our democracy.

Draft saved Draft deleted