1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Are people who "underpay" their workers (presumably without using a gun) the same people who need to pay their "fair share"?

doctorquant likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Also, if you are conservative but offer a good product or service, treat your people decently and don’t try to actively fuck up the country, I’m fine with giving you my business.

A new Chick-Fil-A just opened in a neighboring suburb, and is advertising full time jobs from $14 an hour, in state where the minimum is still $7.25. I haven’t been to that location yet but predictably they are doing land office business. Good for them I say.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Just people getting by, man. They don't have every moral angle figured out.

I'm confident we have a class of Americans - not remotely poor, in aggregation - penning the flow chart of rules on how to think about these things. There was a time - 10, 15 years ago, perhaps - when maybe there was an easier way to slow down this train, but the wealthiest Americans among us chose to be even more rapacious. It's why corporations are trying on progressive clothes at the moment and trying, late in the game, to embrace tax hikes, etc. We'll see if it's too late.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It took Trump four years to kill 10 million jobs. GQP always do this shit to Dems, expect miracles after the Republicans burn shit down.

Fuck them.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Lowe's, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, and many others start unskilled people out far above what anybody I worked with all those years at my paper made.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The biggest problem is that both parties have spent a buttload more money than is in the budget. The R's do and cut taxes at the same time, which makes no sense. The D's do it and propose tax hikes that the R's hate and fight against. Neither side is in the least realistic, and use bullshit numbers and projections. Most of us understand that if we did this in our own lives we'd lose our homes.

The problem is that we don't have big PACS with lots of money pushing Congress. You and I are basically passengers on the train.

SFIND likes this.
  7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's some truth to what you're saying here, but the bigger truth is American businesses are not interested in paying their employees fair wages. As survivors of the newspaper industry most of us know this first-hand. And an artificially low minimum wage, which the minimum wage that was the last increase in 2009 is, allows businesses to continue to devalue their employees.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yep. It's rarely the chains. That's a big misnomer. Chains like that desperately want workers and want to keep them. They wouldn't offer health insurance otherwise.

Hey - I fully understand and agree about the strip mall service economy we've had for 25 years. It's made America a far richer nation culturally while leaving so many other economic variables iffy. But if you want creation in food and music and art, in all of that, you can't make it so hard to do it...that no one does it.

It boils down, to some degree, to what America wants. It can probably have something much closer to Sweden or Norway, but...look at those nations culturally. It may very well be that we've grown very tired of the big, loud, messy American experience.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Why not hire unemployed 17-year-olds as corporate CEOs instead of entry-level minimum wage positions? Or is hiring grossly unqualified people only permissible in politics?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

THIS I will buy. When businesses (big companies more so than mom and pops) seize every possible advantage to depress wages, slash benefits, crush unionization, etc., it is the most natural thing in the world to expect a backlash. This is going to be an uglier, more painful process now that the bill is coming due all at once.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

A POS railing against Big Tech announces that his book railing against such is on sale ... on Amazon.

Irony and stupidity aren't dead, folks:

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I forget which network show he was on, railing about the MSM cancelling him. "Um, actually, we're interviewing you on our show."

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted