1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Panicky stuff like rushing right out to fill your tank is exactly how a crisis mushrooms. Y'all chill.

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I filled two gas cans a year ago, recalling supply chain disruptions from Superstorm Sandy. Reminds me about the same time I got some large plastic jugs of water, just in case. They leaked in the cabinet where they were stored, causing the drawers to swell and trapping flashlights, batteries, and other emergency supplies inside.

3. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about traditional education. I'm talking about simply being informed critical thinkers. By the way, plenty of liberals are shitty critical thinkers, too.

I'm not acknowledging anything. In fact, you so gleefully rushed to respond that you must have missed the disdain with which I hold your opinion.

The paragraph quoted above is a pseudo-intellectual masturbation session that says absolutely nothing. Your nonsensical ramblings about millennials aren't rooted in anything resembling reality. If they were a tree, they would topple over under the weight of their false gravitas.

If you truly studied millennials, you'd understand they're not a monolith. In fact, as a voting bloc, millennials are far more akin to Hispanics and Latinos. There are so many splinters and fractures that viewing them as holding the same beliefs is foolish. Some are conservative. Some are ultra liberal. Some are moderate. Some are socially liberal, but fiscally conservative. Some are so fiscally liberal that even Marx would think twice.

The number of millennials who are advocating for a reformation to every institution, as you put it, probably couldn't fill a mid-sized city. Most millennials, honestly, just want to be able to buy a house and go on vacation without floating debt. That's it. Yeah, a lot of them want a nicer world, but that's no different than past generations. The hippies in the 60s. Peace, Love and Understanding mixed with I Want To Buy The World a Coke in the 70s. Live Aid in the 80s. The message has been there for decades. Moralism has been around for centuries. The only difference today is everyone has a microphone on social media.

Your contrarianism and library of false equivalencies would be a lot more interesting if it wasn't all so shoddily constructed.

EDIT: It all just clicked for me. Alma is the guy Matt Damon shuts down in the bar in Good Will Hunting.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: Last spring's toilet paper shortage.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That’s the only thing that will be funny about all of this in 30 years.

The fact that there were a bunch of paper products, like Kleenex and the like, that could’ve been used as toilet paper in a pinch and yet everyone still freaked out.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Track Them Down
    and Kill Them.

lakefront likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I was kinda hoping it would bring about the revival of newspapers. Sigh.

HanSenSE, Fred siegle and Hermes like this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

“In a pinch.”
    /12 year old boy.

11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Remember the media takes that this individual was 'playing dimensional chess'? Think on all of that with a straight face, if you can.

lakefront likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I guess that makes you Will Hunting.

Look: I've already explained that my posts are general and it'd be one thing if your posts exhibited some scientific, scholarly precision. But so long as you're writing generalized jewels like we don't handle information well because we're uneducated, largely because an entire party has built itself on stunting progress to win elections, your lesson on monoliths rings a little hollow. I don't think all millennials are politically similar; I think, as a generation, there are general - the exception is always in the room, always! - commonalities that reach across political lines.

You can shape your experience here. You want to ignore my shoddy constructions and false gravitas? You can. You want to tear apart my posts? You can do that, too. But generalities are the stock and trade of a message board. Perhaps I've missed the "Christians aren't monoliths, and do not necessarily represent the Inquisition" responses to heyabbott's rants, or the many "I actually know a cop who isn't feral, and seems pretty nice" posts. We don't really need those responses, either. Christians and cops will live. As will Millennials after my shoddy, fake thoughts.

(FWIW, the "only difference" you cite is, IMO, a massive one. I think you're minimizing the magnitude of it. But that's IMO.)

Draft saved Draft deleted