1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, I'm saying the speed of the reversal feels Trumpian. Hell, it is. No masks! 48 hours ago, the CDC leader is practically seething at Susan Collins, talking about 38,000 cases a day compared to 26,000 per day last year at this time (which, given the testing resources, is laughable and disingenuous.) Now, this.

It's a baffling - and welcome - turnaround that left a lot of scientists scrambling. The question is: Why? Or who? Fauci? Biden? A policy advisor? The CDC director who had tired of giving theater performances?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The people around Trump were making decisions and recommendations based on wishful thinking and trying to placate an idiot.

There is none of that going on right now.

The mask recommendation is a judgment call, balancing the risks still present (which masks protect against) versus the inconvenience of masking. None of this is outside the spectrum of where reasonable judgments are at the moment, based on the effectiveness of the vaccine. There are some who would have felt more comfortable with waiting until we get more people vaccinated. There are others who thought they could have done this a week or two ago. Those differing judgments are being informed by a number of factors, and one major one is behavioral -- how people are behaving anyhow.

It's obvious they took the incoming data they were getting about the effectiveness of the vaccines, combined it with their taking the pulse of the country, and made a judgment about where we should be.

Nothing about that kind of evidentiary-based decision making feels anything like Donald Trump.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

A lot of scientists felt we should have taken the masks off weeks ago. Some think we should wear them a little longer.

Honestly, I was thinking give the 12-15 a chance to get the shot then go masks off.

But we have to take the masks off sooner or later and later might never come because of our idiot former president. I don't think we are ever going to convince that last 25-30% until they start seeing each other die.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Where I live in Florida, before yesterday, a lot of people had already quit wearing masks. That is in part because our terrible governor rescinded everything last week. I am officially fully vaccinated today and I will continue to wear my mask when I shop. And go inside places where I don't know who's there. This is not going to impact anyone in terms of getting a vaccination. These people who are not getting vaccinations are not going to get vaccinations. They will be at risk to get this virus moving forward as they have been. Their risk is diminished because x number of people are vaccinated and it appears like transmission of the virus is decreasing. But Ragu is right This is all judgment. I'm having people over to my house tomorrow, first gathering in over a year. I only invited people I know who are vaccinated. I have a good friend who never got her second shot and her husband is not going to get vaccinated, they've been hoaxers and 'this isn't real' and 'people are lying about deaths'. And I'm not comfortable socializing with her. That's my judgment. And we're going to see things like this moving forward.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I also wonder if the Trumpers felt a sense of security, like swimming in deep water and everyone around you has a life preserver but you don't know how to swim. You know them being there doing what they are doing is helping you. But now everyone is throwing their life preserver to the shore and giving you the "you didn't bother to take swimming lessons?"

I wonder how confident they are in their Trump now?

lakefront likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you lie all the time people won’t trust you when needed? Film at 11.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone get the sense that part of the "unmasking" is to "encourage" the vaccine reluctant to get in line pronto?

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is a good point buried in all of your political idiocy here. Sadly, you had to include the latter with the former.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think the national mood is shifting towards “Let the children touch the hot stove and learn for themselves.”

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Works for me. They've heard "Hot! Hot! Burn the baby!" often enough that I'm fine with letting them learn by experience. The problem is, as it has been through the length of this, that they can infect others who were nowhere near the kitchen.

lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted