1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I've never been disappointed by Armstrong's writing. If C-SPAN Books still exists and she's on, don't miss her.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

May 15 is something of a high holy day in this state, the general fishing opener. The Minnesota GOP just sent a release bashing Tim Walz for not spending ENOUGH time in Otter Tail County at the Governor's Fishing Opener event fishing with the locals (he apparently went out at sunrise, caught a perch and was headed back to St. Paul before 8 a.m.) when the parties are miles apart on a state budget. Because Minnesota is a part-time legislature, they are constitutionally obligated to adjourn at midnight Monday, so that is nominally due in three days. A special session is all but inevitable, and if they don't have a budget by, I believe, mid-June, there's a government shutdown. On the other hand, I'm sure their comms department had the "Walz wasted the whole day fishing instead of giving relief to all those hardworking job creators and Minnesota families" release go to waste today.

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I watched it religiously when Brian Lamb hosted. Haven’t seen it in years.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Weaksville. Go Rep. Ryan!

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I was at a gathering last night. My local state rep came in. He and I are regular acquaintances - not buddies, not even friends, but when we meet, we shake hands, slap backs, and discuss the state of the State; I have his cell number, and if I called right now, he'd answer... anyway - and I told him we needed to have a talk. I said, "Not tonight. We're at a party. But soon. It won't make a difference, but we're gonna talk." He said, "I know; I know." My point was made without really brining up anything.
    He talks a good game when he's in town, but when he's at the capitol, he toes the party line. He knows that I'm one of the few people who actually follow the state legislature.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My state senator was as close to sane as an Alabama Republican gets and would actually listen to people. The the governor made him head of the parole board, so we are having a special election in July to anoint the Trump drone coming up behind him.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Vile creep

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don’t know who her editors are, but if they have any sort of backbone, they call up this guy’s communications people and tell them that if their guy pulls another stunt like this again, you’ll provide zero coverage of his events except for brief mentions that he’s a candidate. No quotes. No profiles. If he’s elected, you’ll report on his votes. If he’s at any events, all there is is one sentence that indicates he attended the event.

Yes, you have a duty to your readers. But have some dignity and don’t give every asshole a forum just because of who they are.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Most of the people who follow this guy probably don't read newspapers.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted