1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And the official start of lake and pool season. Don’t forget to honor the dead by shopping all the sales too.

Donny in his element and Mngwa like this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The MLK Day sales always got to me. Waiting to see if any wiseguys will do a massive rope sale on Juneteenth, because freedom.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

President’s Day and furniture stores

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

President's Day is for the car dealers here in New England. Holiday scolds have always been with us and come in all flavors of nagging nuisances. Halloween is Satanic. Keep the Christ in Christmas. Thanksgiving celebrates crimes against indigenous peoples. And so on. It's always tedious and the reaction of 99 percent of other people is always, "what an asshole!"

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The hell of it is that the “Support Tha Troops” sentiment has gotten so weaponized and twisted that I have to snap myself into consciousness on occasions like Memorial Day and Veterans Day, when those sentiments are actually appropriate and genuine.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The 'weaponization' of Memorial Day goes to my hypothesis that the root of the culture war is the people who can't get over the way the public treated the troops after Vietnam and are constantly trying to make up for it.

lakefront, HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

This flag used to mean something to base Republicans, supposedly

[​IMG]

Until Trump ripped McCain for being a POW and the base Republicans cheered

This flag, same thing

[​IMG]

Base Republicans said nothing when the Trump administration altered the colors of our flag to match a Commie dictator's hellhole.

[​IMG]

Actual color BTW

[​IMG]

And the base Republicans sure as hell didn't complain when insurrectionists tore down the flag at the Capitol

[​IMG]

So, base Republicans: you don't get to lecture about patriotism. Or critical race theory. Or.....

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Soooo... it’s not a long weekend and we shouldn’t enjoy it?

The amount of effort going into keeping the shitheels outraged is really something. Though, if you’re actually upset you’re too far gone to reach anyway.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Be sure and get to your local car dealership for the "event." It's not a "sale," it's an "event."

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My father, a Vietnam War Air Force veteran, who worked on the planes which dropped agent Orange and then got Hodgkin’s disease as a result, died on Memorial Day weekend, 1982 — when he was 32 and I was five. My mom rushed him to McKeesport hospital in our old pale yellow Monte Carlo at a time when 9-1-1 wasn’t universal.

For years, when I was in little league, the local athletic association walked in the annual Memorial Day parade. Players were each given a small American flag and walked the parade route. Kids got to keep the flag and we always drove to the cemetery right after the parade and put my flag at my dad’s headstone.

Those are my memories of memorial day weekend as a kid. If someone would like to scold me when I say, “enjoy your holiday weekend,” go ahead and have it.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still no surprise visit and timepiece?

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Do as I say, not as I party

Draft saved Draft deleted