1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I at least suggest a newly hired colleague consider a different profession?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The weekly I write for just hired a new reporter, replacing one who quit after one week. One thing I plan to suggest to her is that her top priority be getting a different job because the job she has is not a good one.

I also want to suggest she consider a different profession because unless you are at one of the nation's top outlets, being a newspaper reporter in 2021 is not a good profession. I recall the studies which have said it is among the worst.

Is there anything wrong with my telling her to consider a different profession? What should I tell her related to that?

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Why is a job at your weekly good for you but not good for her?

(And why is this your business, if she hasn't asked you first?)

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

What's good for you isn't what's good for someone else. The two are not the same.

Liut likes this.
  4. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

My "job" at the weekly is writing a 500-1,000 word roundup about the games the only high school we cover play. There are occasional items about alumni.

I started doing this before I had a full-time job elsewhere. I kept doing it after I got the full-time job because the publisher -- one of the most respected and powerful people in the city with so many connections -- had just written me a letter of recommendation.

He has also said if I quit he will drop sports and let everyone in the city know it is my fault their children and grandchildren are not getting their names in the paper.

He said there is no one else who knows the history of the high school's sports like I do -- which is probably true. He doesn't understand that is not essential for the job.

The publisher -- who owns the paper -- is a rich boy and the paper is a toy. I'm pretty certain he was 26 when he founded it.

I just want to use my experience so this person has a better life than me.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

No.

Liut likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It is not your business to give this other person unsolicited career advice. However you should consider following your own.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

There is quite a bit to unpack from this response.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I'll play along (clicks on Ragtime music with a slant of the head, like Gigolo Joe in AI).
    You are why newsrooms were occasionally miserable places to be at one time.
    Bunch of gossipy old hens worried about what's best for some other person.

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

No. JFC.

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

If anyone reading/posting on this thread wasn't advised as an up-and-comer to find a new profession by older co-workers, or hasn't said it as an industry vet to an up-and-comer, he/she is either a stone-cold liar or 12 years old.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Maybe you could do a sort of compromise to what you're suggesting: not saying she should necessarily find a new profession, but maybe, if you're generally talking shop, ask her what her future plans/hopes are for your career, just so you can actually find that out.

Then, based on that information, go from there, suggesting other possible ideas, places to apply or steps to take in the interim on the way to changing jobs, if not necessarily her profession.

12. No. That’s a bit of an overreach, IMO. Get to know them a little first before telling them the bad news, which, by the way, we all heard from elders in the profession. I remember the first time a veteran reporter told me he wish he’d gone back to school or something like that — and advised me to do the same. We had gotten to know each other pretty well, and it was about my third year at the job, certainly not my first month.

RonClements and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted