1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I at least suggest a newly hired colleague consider a different profession?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Mid 90s, I was an up and comer, right out of the Navy, in college, and working part time at my paper. A grizzled vet of the paper (also a Navy veteran) asks, "What are you going to do when you get out of school?" Me, "I want to work here."
    I can still see him. He took off his glasses, smacked his chewing gum about a dozen times like it was Satan, and said, "Oh, son... don't make the same mistake I did."
    Flash forward about 10-12 years. A local boy was working as a summer intern. Me, "What are you going to do when you get out of school?" Him," I want to work here." I took off my glasses, took a drink of coffee (because I don't chew gum), grimaced, and said, "Oh, son... don't make the same mistake I did."

A few years later, I jumped off the Titanic. He did the same a couple of years later.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    SFIND, awriter, maumann and 2 others like this.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Years ago, interviewing for a job I eventually got:

I finished with all the brass and they had met set up to talk to 3-4 regular folks. One of them, a grizzled vet who ended up becoming a great friend, looks at me and asks, right off the bat, "Why the fuck do you want to work here??" Once I stopped laughing, I said, "Well, I thought it was because (blah blah blah) but now I don't know." Stayed there a while and it was a mostly good job. But I did see enough to finally understand his question.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The first question Bill Miller, then the editor of the Boston Phoenix, asked me when I applied for the listings editor job there in 1977 was "can you live on the shit we pay?" My answer was "shit's better than the nothing I'm making now." I was hired on the spot, but I can't say I wasn't read my rights before I took the job.

4. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

What if I suggest she get a different job as soon as possible?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fuck that fuckin’ guy.

SFIND and HanSenSE like this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There is absolutely nothing true about this sentence.

And even if he did say it, he said it in jest.

And if he did, and you actually believed him, then it might be you who needs to seek a new profession.

SFIND, dixiehack and PaperClip529 like this.
  7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Think Frederik should talk to her

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Most of us posting here are old enough that older co-workers were comparing our shops to the Titanic BEFORE the Leo/Kate Winslet movie came out.

After the movie, the comparison changed to the guys playing violins while the boat sank.

MeanGreenATO and Driftwood like this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Regarding Mr. X's question ... don't offer that advice unsolicited. I have, on occasion, been asked by younger colleagues about their strengths/weaknesses as a journalist, and if they should stay in the business or get out. Even when they've asked for my honest opinion, they usually don't like what they hear.

It's something you have to find out/decide for yourself.

sgreenwell and PaperDoll like this.
  10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

He did say it and did mean it. It is best not to tangle with him and some of the city's residents.

Bottom line is that he knows basically nothing about journalism. When he was younger, I felt the best way to describe him was "a rich boy with a toy" the toy being the paper he founded when he was in his 20s.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Fuck him. Find another job and get away from that asshole.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Are you talking to Mr. X, Mr. X's new co-worker, or both?

cjericho likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted