1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletic, Axios talking merger?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

How many newsletters can one person subscribe to? I don't hear ANYTHING from civilians about Substack.

SixToe and gingerbread like this.
  3. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Substack is the new “Why I’m joining The Athletic” but for hacks claiming they’ve been cancelled

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

This makes no sense. How have Marc or Molly been cancelled? Marc, for one, is widely respected in the industry.

More likely, it's a quality of life decision. No editors, for one (that would drive me crazy; I love editors and sometimes editing). Write what you want, when you want, however long you want. Travel, or don't.

I do wonder if leagues and teams will credential writers from substack. The BBWAA and other sports media orgs give out lifetime honorary credentials, but they're rare. And one of the things we take for granted when working for a media org is the office managers who spend way too much time fighting on the behalf of reporters for credentials.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Bari Weiss is always whining that everyone’s trying to cancel her, and then she’ll turn around and write weird shit like “I was taking a bath the other night sipping a martini and thought to myself, is it morally right for Israel to bomb innocent Palestinian children?”

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I wonder how many people have done this and have 10 or fewer subscribers. Could be a real kick to the ego.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It amazes me how many friends on Facebook will tell me “You should be a writer!” without ever knowing that I was one for years. I try to explain that I’ve grown fond of having groceries and healthcare, but still they insist. I ought to invite them to subscribe to my (non-existent) Substack just to hear the chorus of crickets.

TigerVols likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Most of the newsletters on Substack are free. Some are mostly free, but offer premium content for a subscription fee.

But given the revenue numbers that were being reported earlier this year, I'd bet that there are maybe a few dozen writers (if that many) generating at least 75 percent of that revenue. Underneath them, you have thousands of people offering free content on the platform, maybe some trying to charge something but not garnering any following. Most of the stuff on there is free content.

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I don't need to start a Substack to know I'd have 10 or fewer subscribers.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Agree. I've never heard anyone say anything even remotely akin to "I was reading this on Substack from Ollie Opinionator and it said this and that."

Who's reading all these Substack newsletters? How many of them do they read a day before listening to all the podcasts they're supposed to listen to and then get their work done before checking social media and enjoying a final podcast and one last pre-bedtime Substack newsletter? It has to be exhausting.

Screwball likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Substack is increasingly where the, uh, “progressive resistance” has gone. Writers and readers.

Draft saved Draft deleted