1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I get that - I don't even think upping it to $2m every season would be that big of a deal, but it does speak to the cheapening of the show. They could change it to a "tax-free" $1m (the producers pay the taxes on the award - call it the "Hatch Act" :) - my point stands though, the "outplay" portion of the show has been reduced and the "outluck" has been increased.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I think this season has been unnecessarily convoluted. It's impossible to keep track of who has what advantage. And the shortened time frame has made it seemed incredibly rushed for most of the episodes.
    I mean I've always enjoyed this, I've always watched it, but I'm really tired of the hyperbole of cevery season is better and all the players are always better' and how everything is instantly 'iconic.' Jeff drives a lot of that, and I think overall, the players just get more and more unlikable.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The station is mostly automated now, with a couple of local “producers” on board mainly to make sure that the constant rotation of “news” talk shows goes out on schedule with all the local ads in their proper places.

Brooklyn Bridge likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But the format of "Live In Front of a Studio Audience" is recreating a classic episode. I'd go for this one - over the turkey episode.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Probst is insufferable. His commentary, hyperbole and screaming during challenges is ridiculous. I’m waiting for a contestant to tell him to shut the fuck up as he babbles nonsense as they are concentrating on their challenge.

Mngwa likes this.
  6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I have been working my way through Dexter the last several weeks, with the help of an illness (non-COVID and not flu) that kept me indoors a lot. The entire series is on Prime, I think a promotional deal by Showtime ahead of the new revival.

Love it. Lives up to and surpasses everything I've heard about it over the years.

I've just started season 6. Season 3 is probably the favorite so far, though there hasn't been a bad one yet. Jimmy Smit's Miguel Prado to me has been the best antagonist. Surprised to read John Lithgow's character is so beloved by fans. Easily the least intimidating antagonist Dexter's faced.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It appears there will be a Season 3 of The Morning Show.

The season finale was decent, really enjoyed the camera angles throughout, and some of the directing.

Finale scene ended with Aniston (spoiler spoilers spoilering) straight into the camera.

Few things that bothered me about this season:

1, They cut Cory off at the knees and wrecked his character before he (spoiler spoilers spoilering) in this episode.

1A, Billy Crudup won the Emmy last season and for some reason writers felt the need to murder him this season.

2, Aniston was so disappointing this season but mainly because she didn't have a director kick her ass the way it needed to be.

3, Basically, it was a shitty season that was all over the map with too many characters and uninspired storylines.

4, But I'll watch next season, and beyond if it goes into S4, and go down with the ship. I've invested too many hours to quit now.

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

With God as my witness...
    WKRP.jpg

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Never gets old!

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think that was part of what made Lithgow's character creepy, that he was a serial killer who came off as the most harmless guy ever. I always think of the scene in the police station. "Hello...Dexter Morgan." Of course, he certainly has a huge impact on Dexter's life, too.

To be fair, I'm going on memory. It has been years since I watched the original run. I've only seen the first episode of the new one so far.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Cory's last interaction with Bradley in that last episode might be my last straw. Plus I'm not interested in coming back for a third season that's set right in the heart of the pandemic. I watch the teevee to get away from all that.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They were desperate. I watched a minute or so of the behind the scenes thing and one of the writers practically gushed about the Cory/Bradley interaction.

Oh well.

Draft saved Draft deleted