1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I know this: Gas prices respond wayyyyyyyyyyyy quicker to rising oil prices than they do to falling oil prices.

UNCGrad, Inky_Wretch, garrow and 2 others like this.
  2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

but enough about hulk hogan

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Probably some CRT (chicken, romaine, tomato) sandwiches

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was going to say John Cena and his five moves of doom, but you beat me to it.

Hogan actually could wrestle when he needed to. He broke out a bunch of moves in his early 90s match with the Great Muta.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Come for the illegal foreign object, stay for the ramp-sprint clothesline

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The phenomenon is known as rockets and feathers (i.e. prices rise like rockets, fall like feathers). Populist politicians try to pin the phenomenon on collusion, but this happens in competitive markets -- empirically, consumer behavior actually drives the phenomenon to a large degree.

When the price of oil has been stable, but then suddenly increases dramatically, you get the rocket effect in the price of gas. ... the price moves quickly upward. If the price finds some period of equilibrium at the higher level, but then falls, the gasoline prices retreat more slowly. It's true of how prices react in most markets, but people notice it most with gas because the supply and demand factors that determine the price change more often and more dramatically than they do for most other things.

This happens without the mythical collusion people inevitably look for, because of asymmetric shopping behavior by consumers. When the price of gas shoots up, consumers are more apt to go hunting for stations with the lowest prices. But when the price is falling (even from the elevated prices), they tend to be less active about hunting for lower prices. It's almost like, "Oh great, I am paying 4 cents less than I did last week," so they don't go looking for an even lower price. Which partly explains why gas prices drop slower than they did on the way up when oil prices were increasing.

Driftwood and HanSenSE like this.
  7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Crazy. First time I can remember gas being more expensive in a US city than in my city (Toronto suburb). $6 USD/gallon for regular translates to about $1.99 CDN/litre. I gassed up at $1.32/litre the other day.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The left does like to play nice, and that is a problem.

Start from the two minute mark. This is about campaign finance, it is on a fictional show, and it is 20 years old, but it speaks quite clearly to one of the big problems the Democratic Party needs to address.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

#Cuck Alert

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Will now join W.'s new media company

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The assignment editor at Wired should be fired immediately for missing this obvious scoop.

dixiehack and Woody Long like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted