1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My comment wasn't really tilted toward political but rather perception of "American exceptionalism" that people want taught.
    For example, if I point out that we didn't single-handedly win WWII or point out that while we were technically the good guys in WWII, we weren't necessarily good guys, I get told that I don't know what I'm talking about by people who barely graduated high school.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Chickenhawks know best.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My wife’s family To this day hates the Japanese for what happened to the Philippines in World War II

I should say not necessarily the younger generation, but certainly the parents and grandparents.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There’s nobody younger than 90 years old on the planet had anything to do with WWII

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

We evened that shit up in Nam.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My father commanded an Army infantry company in Normandy after D-Day. I'm 65. There are probably a few 50-55 year old children of that generation, but most are 60+.

You're talking the grandparents of the majority of the folks on Twitter. Or older.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That's probably a separate issue. That's more perspective than skewed history.
    I know plenty of WWII vets how hate Germans and Japanese. I know Vietnam vets who hate Charlie. I will never be warm to Soviets. That was my war.
    Living through something gives you an outlook. At least you've earned it. I guess my initial post was more about people who weren't there thinking Oliver Stone's JFK is a documentary.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"That's how I know he can be beaten,” Smiley said. “Because he's a fanatic, and the fanatic is always concealing a secret doubt."
    --Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

i'm surprised the left let it get to this

10. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

The school board here, nominally non-political but 6-3 Republican, voted back in early December to make masks optional when kids come back to school in January. The anti-maskers were ecstatic, the intelligent people were unhappy. Now the board is having an emergency meeting on New Year's Eve to discuss the situation, which isn't good around here. One of the school board members, a Republican, posted on Facebook that he would be on a flight from somewhere and wouldn't be able to participate even remotely. One clown informed him he needed to decide what was more important, his flight or his base. I have a grandson in the school system who has had the first of his vaccines. I'm hoping the school board reverses itself, though one member has been anti-mask from the start, proclaiming that masks don't work.

Driftwood likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Our school system is switching to masks optional in the buildings. Our kids will continue to wear them.

Masks are mandatory on buses.

I expect another round of school or class closures when Ghengis Con sweeps through.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

My high school and college years coincided with Reagan's two terms in office and I guess there's a tendency to look at that time in your life as a better, simpler, happier time. That and there were two Catholic churches in my hometown and probably about that many black families. I think many of my classmates' families moved there from Boston in the early 70s to get away from the bussing.
    Most of my classmates, if I had to guess, voted for Trump probably both times. I find it amusing how many people whom I would hardly describe as pious back in the day think God and country are a big deal now. I know people change when they get older, especially when they have kids and grandkids, but knowing how they were back then it seems so phony.

Draft saved Draft deleted