1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

1). There's no such thing as a splunk log.

2). There is no such thing as hidden evidence.

3). Biden won. There was no cheating.

4). This motherfucker called me a cheater.Gid help him if we ever meet in person.

[Then maricopa should hand over the routers and splunk logs and show that to the world. Until they do, this ain’t going away babs.]

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My daddy was a combat photographer in the South Pacific, completed beach landings in the Philippines, was on the Missouri for the treaty signing, and was among the first soldiers in Hiroshima.
    I was the family P.S. that he and mom had late in life. But it wasn’t until the last decade or so that I realized people around my age had no “first-hand stories” from dads or uncles, but only grandparents.
    I grew up literally in a home on a Battle of Nashville field (Shy’s Hill) and my daddy served in WWII so “war references” of one sort or another were part of the fabric of my childhood.
    I’m happy to see that’s no longer the case for most subsequent generations, especially the newest.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Do you ever just want to sit down with someone and talk sports or movies or whatever over a glass of iced tea or the cold thing they drink where you are?
    I know it's different there. One of my friends from that part of the country has a daughter who refers to Tom Brady and Sidney Crosby as "Baestids" and "Wastes of protein." She's nine.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Maybe if I'm not willing to listen to the guy with an open mind, I shouldn't engage with him. My mistake.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My dad was at Normandy, but a couple of days late (supply ship was late). He never wanted to talk about the war. Mom refused to let us watch "Hogan's Heroes." We would say it's just a comedy show. She came back with, there was nothing funny about it, and, the Germans weren't stupid.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've posted this before, but in about 99% of cases, the more someone talks, the less they actually saw, and the less that talk about it, the more they saw.
    I had a great uncle in WWII who always claimed to be a cook. Well, I'm pretty sue he didn't get a silver star, two bronze stars, and a purple heart because his eggs were so awesome.

Slacker, wicked, dixiehack and 6 others like this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Same thing with the guys who spent time in 'Nam. If they want to talk about it, they probably weren't in the rice paddies or clearing sniper holes. My golf buddy was on a nuclear boomer. He won't talk about much, except sneaking booze on board and the guys who smoked weed in the torpedo tubes.

Driftwood and OscarMadison like this.
  9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

What does that even mean? Just maybe cut back on looking for people who are wrong on the internet.

Werner Klemperer was brilliant. I always wondered why he agreed to be on trash like Hogan's Heroes. Maybe it was his way of giving the finger to the Nazis. Most bad people are notoriously thin-skinned and unable to laugh at themselves. After all, it was only 20 years after the end of WWII that Hogans Heroes was first boadcast.

maumann and Smallpotatoes like this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

From Bob LaFollette to this in less than a century:

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My high school football coach was shot down over Germany in 1943 and spent 18 months as a POW with bullets in his leg. He REALLY didn't like Hogan's Heroes.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Part of Klemperer's agreement to do the show was that the Germans could never be made to look good.

Draft saved Draft deleted