1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Buy 2, get 2 free at Publix knocks it down to about $2.50 a gallon.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Milk too.

4. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

The Wisconsin State Journal's troubleshooter columnist reported last week that he tried to go to bat for a guy who had been locked out of his Coinbase account and was witnessing unauthorized transactions in it. Apparently Coinbase failed to respond to several attenpts at contact by the cage-rattler. The columnist concluded that Coinbase was rated F by the Better Business Bureau. Caveat emptor!

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The BBB means nothing and has no enforcement teeth.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Crypto.com and Coinbase are two different companies. They are both young companies, not profitable, and going through serious growing pains. Coinbase has had a problem with people clicking on phishing scams on their phones and then having their coinbase accounts cleared out by the scammers. On top of it, the company's customer service has been beyond terrible when those people turn to them after it happens. So yeah, if you really care about the Better Business Bureau, I am sure they rate an F- grade. I'm not sure what is happening with Crypto.com's latest problems, but anecdotally people have reported stuff missing from their accounts and the company shut down (they are back up) to improve security. I personally wouldn't trust either of the companies with any assets of significance to me.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Wharton professor asks Wharton students economic question.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

I want to meet the student who thought the average worker makes $800K a year.

9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

And these are supposed to be elite students. What is there to say really.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't think she's right on that $45K (you get into all kinds of definitional issues ...), but no matter ... you'd see that kind of variation across estimates in pretty much any setting. That it's "Wharton students" sounds so ominous, but about a fourth of "Wharton students" are international students; are we surprised that a substantial proportion of "Wharton students" aren't in possession of a good understanding of the statistical contours of the U.S. workforce?

TigerVols likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

I had a hunch that $45K isn't quite right either. According to the SSA, average wage last year was $53,383, median wage was $34.612. She's close enough that the point about the students being clueless stands.

Putting aside the international student thing you mentioned, elite school or not, we're probably talking about 18 year old kids who are getting out of the cocoon for the first time in their lives.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Right on both points. That tweet sounds so "Let them eat cake," but it strikes me as more "Dog bites man."

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted