1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 college basketball coaching carousel of progress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Two of those were nearly 20 years ago (Bo Ryan-Wisconsin, who was only 30-27 and got the UW job based on what he did at D3 Platteville, and Bruce Pearl-Tennessee), and the last one went to his alma mater after posting a whopping 11-24 record in his only season (LaVall Jordan-Butler). A lot has changed since then.

Program is a dumpster fire and the athletic director is reviled among the minuscule fan base after dumping Rob Jeter following a 20-win season years ago.

Horizon, however, has become a low-major conference filled with mediocrity so potentially someone could come in, win, and get out before it’s too late.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I want to go to a Wisconsin-Milwaukee game just to see the MECCA.

Songbird, part-timer and Gutter like this.
  3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Still in great shape. Obviously has modern amenities but still has the charm it had in the 70s and 80s

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not MBB, but Charli Turner Thorne is stepping down after 25 years as ASU's WBB coach. She's not everyone's cup of tea and she rubs some people the wrong way but she's done a decent job there, just could never get over the hump to reach a Final Four.

I think Arizona's sudden success in WBB (yes, somebody's probably getting paid, it is Arizona after all) put a lot more pressure on her than in the past and ASU was a dumpster fire this season.

5. micropolitan guy

Wayne State hires alum Bryan Smothers as head coach. He had been an assistant at Niagara and also worked at Michigan under Beilein.

Some talk of WSU trying to go to DI. They have a nice new gym and would fit nicely in the above-maligned Horizon League, with natural rivalries against Detroit Mercy and Oakland.

6. micropolitan guy

Seattle U removes the "interim" tag, names Chris Victor full-time head coach. SU is challenging for the WAC title and an NCAA berth.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

When I was young Detroit regularly played Marquette, De Paul, and Xavier
    Among its star players were Dave DeBusschere and Spencer Haywood
    The Titans had a chance to join the Great Midwest and turned it down
    They wanted to be a big fish in a small pond
    Well, they never have been a big fish and the small pond is shrinking
    Programs like Butler, Valparaiso and Loyola have surpassed the Titans and Horizon as they’ve passed through
    As for Wayne State, UD fought like hell to keep Oakland out of the Horizon so I can’t imagine it would welcome Wayne with open arms

Liut and Gutter like this.
  8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Florida Gulf Coast decides to fire a guy who went 21-11. Gotta be more to that story right?

9. micropolitan guy

The Catholic schools don't stick together like they used to. When I was a kid Canisius and Niagara regularly played Providence, St. John's, Villanova, Seton Hall, Fordham, etc., quite regularly. Not anymore.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

All the AD said was that it was a "gut-wrenching" decision. Yeah, this might start to stink like dead fish.

Did they really think that the next Andy Enfield was going to magically appear?

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Guy is 38. Was third in his division and made conference tourney quarterfinals with a loss that could be to the tourney champ.

it’s just weird on the surface

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Anyone got insight into what Archie Miller is up to or linked to? David Cox is probably done at URI (14-15 overall, but 5-12 in conference play, following 7-10 last year, with a not-so-young roster). Miller is the fan base's #1 with a bullet option to replace him, but I kind of assume he could find another prominent P5 job without having to reestablish his rep. Personally, I just want someone kind of "boring" in that role that will build a program - Becker from Vermont, or since he's been brought to my attention, Chris Jans from New Mexico State also has an impressive resume.

Draft saved Draft deleted