1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credential beef for PGA Championship

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Apr 26, 2022.

1. busch

busch Member

Honest question: Who is she? I don't follow golf for the most part and certainly don't follow golf media. Not being critical but I've never heard of her. Is she really a big deal or is it all in her ego? Just asking.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

But but but she has a blue checkmark!

One of many reasons social media will be the death of us. And golf is overrun with young people, predominantly female, that have apparently made a career out of being golf course eye candy. This woman lists one of her jobs as being co-host of Paige Spiranac's podcast. Lovely. Can annnnnnyone tell me what Spiranac does in the industry beyond "influencer?" Not a touring pro, not an instructor, not even an on-camera personality like Amanda Balionis.

SFIND likes this.
  3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Anyone who tells you the truth about what Spiranac - and Rose, apparently - does in the industry would be accused of being sexist and chauvinistic.

The entitlement is staggering, surpassed only by her irrelevance.

SFIND and Woody Long like this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

Handling this in a completely mature fashion.
    6D476462-34D2-4E6E-B51C-8B42F082605D.png

SFIND likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It was ever thus.

How well I remember the buxom bathroom selfies of Herbert Warren Wind.

Cosmo, HanSenSE and Woody Long like this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The young lady has the maturity of a 4-year-old.

The entire concept of "influencers" is just another sign of the apocalypse.

busch, MileHigh, SFIND and 2 others like this.
  7. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

She's nobody now, and if she keeps trolling twitter and whining, she'll be nobody forever.

busch, SFIND and jr/shotglass like this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

Of all of the ignorant nonsense we've been forced to endure during the 21st century -- duck face, selfies, super slim men's clothing, the damn-near complete elimination of actual colors on cars -- the phrase "haters gonna' hate" might be the worst because it has absolved everyone from constructive criticism. Anyone who doesn't get on board with whatever you're spewing is immediately cast as a "hater." Truth is, no one cares enough about you to hate you, but many have valid points about your argument. Valid points you don't want to address because self-analysis is hard and many times unveils truths you wish you didn't have to see.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think you should take a screen shot of that and post it as a reply to her tweet.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

She blocked replies to the hate tweet, again absolving her.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Maybe this is way too much of a "Get off my lawn" take, but is there no one in her life to advise her? To tell her that not only is she wrong here, but her reaction to this, and approach in general, is going to do her more harm than good down the road?

I realize she has a bunch of followers who are all-too-willing to tell her she's great because they like seeing her show off her cleavage, and Paige Spiranac, who is an absolute caricature. Someone she trusts who is willing to challenge her would be great for her career development.

12. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

No, it's not, and no, she doesn't.

I've applied for credentials and been rejected for things, and it happened somewhat frequently when I was just out of college and trying to get work with smaller outlets, though it was 25-plus years ago. It happens.

If I were a hiring manager and I saw this in her social media feed, I'd move on. No editor needs these headaches, which is probably why Marisa Ingemi is a freelancer now, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted