1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why did the left let it get this way?

(Seriously, the thread here has some amazing infographics.)

garrow likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

About school loan forgiveness...

When I look at post-secondary education in this country, I see a huge mess that is going to take a long time to fix. So no, I don't have an answer, nor do I think there is ever going to be a way to make this fair.

I had a good time at university and more often than not, I speak fondly of my matriculation in Bowling Green. There were a couple of instances that tried my faith in people. One was the day I spent with an auditor who nearly sidelined my graduation because she did not recognize the word "rhetoric." The second was a lot darker.

One of the adjuncts in the English department got caught writing Letters to Penthouse. Instead of digging a little deeper to find out why this happened, a snotnosed, mouth-breathing, booger-eating product of married first cousins put her on blast in the campus paper. Questions were raised about whether she was fit to teach at WKU, and she nearly lost her job. I reckon there were intangible damage hits to her character as this unfolded. Finally, an actual adult took things in hand and addressed the issue.

The adjunct was trying to keep herself and her family solvent while she waited on word of better-paying jobs with benefits. As luck would have it, one of her children developed acute appendicitis. She had gone to a school with very good J and English programs. One of her former classmates worked for Penthouse. He was actually at Omni but he knew people who knew people who could help her make quick money writing Letters to Penthouse. (That's the short version. I don't know the ins and outs or the time frame. I just remember when campus media and then eventually local media got their teeth into that poor woman.) Instead of expressing shame that the university paid so little, the Uni elders phumphured about moral turpitude and retreated to the university funded hot tub at the president's house.

When the subject of loan forgiveness comes up, I think of people like her.

Yes, I got anecdotal about this. I could pull some facts and figures and little diagrams and photographs with dots and arrows and explanations on the back. All that would do is further dehumanize the people who could be most affected.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

@OscarMadison, were you there for the Bowling Green massacre?

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

TOO SOON

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

garrow likes this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Can't go to Disney World any more.

OscarMadison and matt_garth like this.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Well, he’s not the reigning Super Bowl MVP. Duh …

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted