1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder what the odds on which Justice leaked it are? Breyer and Roberts would be my top two. Roberts probably wants to at least issue a somewhat reasoned opinion and is very mindful of the Court's legacy - but I think it's Alito's court now. Breyer's leaving, he don't care. Kagan and Sotamayor will have to deal with the conservatives for another 20 years.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Very similar here in Colorado. Family members or law enforcement can petition the courts to confiscate weapons from people who could be a threat.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm still blown away this morning by the leak itself. Very unprecedented. And the details of the draft. And the timing: Late on a Monday night in early May.

wicked likes this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree. Everyone knew it was coming after Trump got elected. Do I agree with it? Of course not. But the news value is the leak, not reversing Roe.

That said, the people protesting in front of SCOTUS today disagree with me.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

One thing I've read (can't find the link) is that Kavanaugh is a people pleaser and has been coaxed on some decisions by Roberts, and that Roberts has been doing the older-brother thing, taking him under his wing, and trying to get him more to the center. I think Kavanaugh's voted with Roberts a very, very high percentage of the time.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Can’t remember where I saw it, but during 2020 when people were saying this was the most important election of our lifetime someone said: “No, that was 2016 and we blew it.”

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I couldn’t disagree more. I would venture to say that 95+% of Americans have no idea about the secrecy of the SCOTUS deliberation process. It’s a side story to what appears to be not only a complete reversal of Roe, but an open invitation for state and federal legislatures to roll back all sorts of rights (same sex-marriage, LGBT rights, interracial marriage perhaps).

Baron Scicluna and Machine Head like this.
  8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

garrow and Baron Scicluna like this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Using "unprecedented!" inappropriately seems to be all the rage across the political spectrum these days.

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

As other have noted on twitter, I forget who tweeted this, this a a 'canary in the coal mine' moment.

They are not going to stop at Roe.

As the parent of a gay child I will fight.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It’s not just a side story, it’s a planned smokescreen to give MSM something to salivate over while drawing attention away from the ramifications of the decision itself. @wicked is not the only person who fell for the trick.

Mngwa and Webster like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted