1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I hope you’re correct.

Didn’t the guy Musk called a pedophile die by suicide? (I think I’m using the current preferred language.) I don’t know how that isn’t being mentioned by anyone.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You'll need to click on Tarrio at the bottom to get the full effect.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not surprising. Also shortsighted, but this is Elon Musk in a nutshell. His M.O. is to extend the cost of things as far into the future as possible, and he's been continually rewarded for doing that via bailouts, and a distorted rate environment that allowed Tesla to borrow over and over again and dilute its equity without being punished.

If he is offering preferred equity at a 20 year maturity paying 14 percent with the interest rate increasing by 75 basis points in the seventh, eighth or ninth years, there will be takers. I'd imagine that kind of healthy return amply offsets the risk for a lot of people. But if Twitter lives long enough for those people to collect that interest, Musk will be hamstringing the company so badly that he's really just giving his Tesla holdings (the source of his wealth) a reprieve today to hamstring Twitter's ability to profit even worse later on. For Elon Musk, though, all that matters is the time it will buy him. He figures he'll be able to find a way to kick the can again when he needs to.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Did Elon get in Jim Irsay’s stash last night? He was one classic rock lyric away from going full Irsay.

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Perhaps he realized he was killing Tesla. Not sure if this will save it or not. I bailed. Hated to sell. It's been very, very good to me.

Hermes likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's renegotiating. Stock prices are dropping broadly, and if he had done his carnival barker act now instead a monhth ago, he realizes that Twitter would have been worth a lot less. So he's trying to renegotiate.

Draft saved Draft deleted