1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes you love/live by

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

love that one

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

A longtime, beloved ASE would say this to his
    young hotshots whenever their heads got all swole up:

"I was here before you got here,
    and I'll be here after you're gone."

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My senior quote in high school was the Mickey Rivers classic:

Mickey Rivers > Quotes > Quotable Quote
    “Ain't no sense worryin' about the things you got control over, 'cause if you got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'. And ain't no sense worryin' about the things you don't got control over, 'cause if you don't got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'.”

Couple years ago, I was in church and came across the bible quote "Knock and it shall be opened." It was only then that the quote wasn't about "it" being welcoming and ready, but the necessity to knock. You've got to knock.

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Always punch up.
    You should always be your primary audience. If it doesn't make you laugh, cry, think, experience something transformative, it's not going to hit anyone else that way.
    Kill your darlings.

maumann likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Change isn’t fatal, but failure to change might be.

- John Wooden

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this one on other threads, but I like to spread it around. It's probably the simplest, truest, most oft-referenced one for me. I really do live by it:

Being grateful for what we have, turns what we have into enough.

maumann and lakefront like this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The first half of this Bart Giamatti essay is well-known but I really like the second better:

"Baseball breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.

... Of course, there are those who learn after the first few times. They grow out of sports. And there are others who were born with the wisdom to know that nothing lasts. These are the truly tough among us, the ones who can live without illusion, or without even the hope of illusion. I am not that grown-up or up-to-date. I am a simpler creature, tied to more primitive patterns and cycles. I need to think something lasts forever, and it might as well be that state of being that is a game; it might as well be that, in a green field, in the sun."

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. DanOregon

Whenever the new Fall TV schedule drops I always wonder what networks where thinking with some of the shows - and then a TV critic explained a lot of network tv schedules are dictated by deals with producers or actors (you are paying them on deals, you might as well put them to use, even if the shows are terrible) and attempts to attract specific demos that advertisers want to reach (which explains all the hospital dramas). And then you're thinking about the tone of a show, how it can be a "segue" from comedy block to a drama block and hold the audience - or serve as counter-programming. And then you are looking at if the network owns a piece of the show. The quality of a TV show is usually a bit down on the list.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Cop Rock

Manimal

11. DanOregon

Cop Rock was Bochco - Manimal was Glen Larson who had 18 shows hit the airwaves between '75 and '85 including Magnum, Quincy, Battlestar Gallactica, Knight Rider, ("talking car" vs. "guy who turns into animals" what's the dif?" put on Fridays for the kids")

12. DanOregon

Was shown this at work today. I was ready to knock down skyscrapers. Denzel is a dude. I wish I had a graduation speech like this when I graduated.

"Fall Forward."

Draft saved Draft deleted