1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credential beef for PGA Championship

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Apr 26, 2022.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Their prices are outrageous this week, and I know they are at the Tour Championship at East Lake. Unsure about the rest of the Tour events. "patrons" continue to pay for the products, though.

$25 for a 23-ounce beer in Tulsa. That's abusive.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is not a PGA Tour event. PGA Championship is run by the PGA of America, the Tour Championship is run by the PGA Tour.

Still, no home Ryder Cup this year, so PGA of America needs to rake in some extra cash.

SixToe likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I doubt the sponsoring body has any say over the price of beer anyway.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I realize that. They're all doing it because they can. Enough idiots will pay $18 or whatever for a beer and $10 for a hotdog.

PGA-A knows what's going on. They know the prices and likely approved them. This is from an ESPN story.

Kerry Haigh, PGA of America chief championships officer, said Tuesday that the tournament's concessions pricing is "sort of comparable to stadium events" and that the organization is comfortable with where they are. He also explained that they are trying a new model of ticketing where fans attending rounds of the event starting Thursday can eat as much food and drink as many nonalcoholic drinks as they want for the price of their ticket.

Tickets for Thursday's first round are listed on the PGA Championship website for $195 plus fees. According to the site, tickets for Friday, Saturday and Sunday are sold out.

"At the end of it we'll go back and, like we always do, try to figure out if it worked or didn't work and what we can do better and raise the bar," PGA of America CEO Seth Waugh said. "It's not unique to sports but it's unique to us, so we're giving it a shot, and hopefully people love it. That's the idea."

$18 beers and other food prices at the PGA Championship

In the end, though, it goes back to the simple fact of, "Here's our price, pay it or don't." They'll find what works even if it's a crazy price to a lot of people. Just like the price of golf balls or club fees, or shirts, or anything.

MileHigh and jr/shotglass like this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Guess they're showing us why they'll always be the fourth major.

MileHigh and maumann like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

In all honesty, The Players is probably No. 4 now. And that's not because I got fired from PGA.com.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I still hate that this thing is in May. I always considered the PGA the official end of summer, with college football starting a couple of weeks later.

SixToe and maumann like this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I like it. FedEx Cup was getting swallowed up by football. Opens up more courses to host the PGA in May.

2muchcoffeeman and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I like the cadence of 1 major per month, starting in April, then the Tour Championship and the Ryder Cup/Presidents Cup later on.

TigerVols and HanSenSE like this.
  10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Aside from money and ratings and money and money ... what's the point of the President's Cup?

Besides money and ratings, of course.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Glory’s last call.

maumann likes this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hey, the PGA could always count on that huge moneymaker, the Grand Slam of Golf.

(And yeah, not missing having to promote the crap out of that ... crap.)

playthrough and SixToe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted