1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we allowed to talk about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just don't get it. ... So Fidelity administers a lot of 401(K) plans. They are ready to make a bitcoin fund an offering (and they are doing it because there is demand, what a novel concept!).

Why is the labor department or Janet Yellen or Cynthia Lummis involved in it?

You have a 401(K). You have choices about what to do with the money in your account based on the size of your employer and how good a benefit they offer. If there's demand for a bitcoin fund, and they offer it in your plan, and you are an individual with one of those 401(K)s? Buy it if you see value in it. Don't buy it you don't. Why is it any more complicated than that?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’ve always thought that Celsius just sounds wussy. Fahrenheit sounds tough.

maumann likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

Rankine is downright badass, then.

maumann likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I don't understand these things. I just hope Trump has heavily invested in cryptocurrencies.

5. The Big Ragu

Not a chance.

He'd be the guy lending his name to a stable coin for a licensing fee, only for people to find out that the thing that is supposed to keep a peg in place is a real estate portfolio that Trump owns that is worth $X, but which he represented as being worth $X times 10.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Do you ever look at Boho vans? I wish I knew more about how to do it, like where to stay.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I had not, until now. Those are gorgeous. Love the woodwork and use of space. You can tell there's attention to detail. There are a number of smaller companies (Phoenix Cruiser and NeXus are two that I've contacted) that produce one or two vehicles a month rather than trying to churn out 150 a day. That's going to cost more, but you also usually get superior customer service and the feel of a customized, hand-crafted RV. That "should" mean fewer trips to the repair shop.

A RAM Sprinter work van is pretty damn confining, but it appears they do a great job of packing a lot of stuff into a little-bitty space. The resale I researched didn't have a stove, toilet or hot water, but carried 25 gallons of fresh water and appeared to have ample charging for electrical devices for $90,000. Even used, that's a competitive price.

That would be perfect for a young couple (maybe even with a couple of young kids) who wanted to tour the National Parks in Utah for a week, for example, by renting from the Tempe location, but not so great if you brought a dog along. Grand Canyon? Colorado River? San Diego? San Jacinto Mountains? Man, I could think of a bunch of getaways if I lived somewhere in that part of the country.

For $220 a night, that's like having the hotel room, rental car and restaurant all in one place. And you can move it to another parking spot every night.

If I were single, that size RV would be tempting. However, we already have a 31-foot Class C, which is not well-suited for being a snowbird for four months. So I'm tempted to trade up for the additional space and storage until we get too old to hit the highway. That, or buy a fifth wheel that's stored in Florida that I can move back and forth to the RV park after Thanksgiving and just drive the car down.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is there a cyber-meltdown equivalent of jumping out of windows, because Bitcoin is in a 1929-style collapse at the moment.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Guys erase their avatars.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You're thinking of this place all wrong. As if I had the money back in a safe. The money's not here. Your money's in Joe's Ponzi scheme ...right next to yours. And in the Kennedy meth lab, and Mrs. Macklin's call girl ring, and a hundred others. Why, you're lending them the money to do crimes, and then, they're going to pay it back to you as best they can. Now what are you going to do? Foreclose on them?...Now wait...now listen...now listen to me. I beg of you not to do this thing. If the cuck Democrats gets hold of this crypto there'll never be another decent NFT in this town. They’ve already got charge of the woke media. They’ve got the faculty senate. They’ve got the kindergarten groomers. And now they’re after us. Why? Well, it's very simple. Because we're all owning the libs, that's why. And because they wants to keep you having health insurance and having to pay a minimum wage. Joe, you used to watch CNN, didn't you? Well, have you forgotten? Have you forgotten having to get political news from that bitch Candy Crowley? Here, Ed. You know, you remember last year when things weren't going so well, and your kids were saying blacks and gays have rights too? You didn't lose your MAGA hat, did you? Do you think the shitlibs would have let you keep it? Can't you understand what's happening here? Don't you see what's happening? George Soros isn't selling. Soros is buying! And why? Because we're panicky and he's not. That's why. He's picking up some bargains. Now, we can get through this thing all right. We've got to stick together, though. We've got to have faith in each other.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I feel like half the wealth in the city of Miami disappeared today. The rest is secure in cocaine reserves.

Draft saved Draft deleted